Nineteen Auburn College of Agriculture and Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station faculty who collectively secured more than $11.8 million in research funding in the past fiscal year were among the 32 honorees in the college’s 2018 faculty and staff awards program in December.
The 19 scientists received 2018 Dean’s Grantsmanship Awards to recognize their success in securing $300,000 or more each in extramural contracts and grants over the 12 months. Paul Patterson, college dean and AAES director, presented Recipients included:
- Loka Ashwood, assistant professor, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology.
- Fernando Biase, assistant professor, Department of Animal Sciences.
- Jasmeet Lamba and Yi Wang, assistant professors, Department of Biosystems Engineering and Water Resources Center.
- Charles Chen, professor; Audrey Gamble, assistant professor; and Alumni Professor Scott McElroy, all in the Department of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences.
- Alana Jacobson, assistant professor, and professors Austin Hagan and Kathy Lawrence, all in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology.
- Alumni Professor Allen Davis, professors Cova Arias, Dennis DeVries and Rex Dunham, and associate professors Bill Walton, Alan Wilson and Russell Wright, all in the School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences.
- Professor William Dozier and assistant professor Jessica Starkey, both in the Department of Poultry Science.
The 2018 Dean’s Junior and Senior Research Awards went to assistant professor Loka Ashwood in agricultural economics and rural sociology and biosystems engineering professor Puneet Srivastava, respectively.
Winner of the 2018 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Instruction was associate professor Jeremiah Davis in the Department of Biosystems Engineering. The Dean’s Award for Excellence in Advising and Student Support, meanwhile, was presented to Codi Plaster, academic advisor II in the college.
Faculty recognized as 2018 Outstanding Publication Award winners were associate professor Alan Wilson, School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences; and assistant professors Emir Malikov in the agricultural economics and rural sociology department and Yi Wang in biosystems engineering.
The 2018 Richard L. Guthrie Award for Achievement in International Agriculture was presented to professor Joseph Molnar, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, while the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Extension and Outreach went to extension specialist III Ayanava Majumdar in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology.
The Office of Agricultural Communications and Marketing staff received the 2018 Project Team Award. Staff members include Jaden Brown, Bill Cahalin, Jamie Creamer, Jess Douglas, Paul Hollis and Josh Woods, director.
Winning the Staff Employee of the Year honors for 2018 were Brian Gamble, associate director, Wiregrass Research and Extension Center, and Joy Brown, art design specialist III in biosystems engineering.