Timeline & History
Auburn University In the beginning
Auburn University was established in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College. In 1872, under the Morrill Act, it became the first land-grant college in the South and was renamed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899 the name again was changed, to the Alabama Polytechnic Institute. Finally, in 1960, API became Auburn University, a name reflecting its location and expressing the varied academic programs and larger curriculum of a major university.
History of the College of Agriculture
The College of Agriculture traces its roots back to 1872 with the establishment of the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College as a land-grant institution. Throughout its long history, the college has helped advance Alabama’s agricultural economy while improving the nutrition, health and standard of living for all citizens. In addition to educating generations of students, the college’s faculty and staff provide research and outreach services to the citizens of Alabama and beyond and work in conjunction with the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station and Alabama Cooperative Extension System.