Daniel E. Wells
Get In Touch
170A Funchess Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 2013 Doctor of Philosophy – Horticulture, Louisiana State University
- 2008 Master of Science – Horticulture, Auburn University
- 2006 Bachelor of Science – Horticulture, Auburn University
- 2020 – present Associate Professor – Specialty Crops, Auburn University
- 2014 – 2020 Assistant Professor – Specialty Crops, Auburn University
- 2013-14 Postdoctoral Researcher – Landscape Horticulture, LSU AgCenter, Hammond Research Station
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2019 Auburn University Spirit of Sustainability Award
- 2017 Auburn University President’s Outstanding Collaborative Units
- 2017 Auburn University Tiger Dining’s Tammy Hollis Partnership Award
- 2017 Auburn University’s Nominee for the Foundation for Food and Agriculture’s New Innovator Award
- 2016 Auburn University College of Agriculture’s Project Team Award
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
- Phi Kapa Phi Honor Society
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
My research program focuses on improving controlled environment agriculture in the southeast. Specific topics of interest include plant nutrition in hydroponic and aquaponic systems, temperature optimization in controlled environments, improved production techniques for greenhouses, indoor farms, and LED Grow Lights.
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- HORT 2060 – Hydroponics: Principles and Techniques of Soilless Plant Production
- HORT 7050 – Nutritional Requirements of Horticultural Plants
- HORT 2043 – Organic Gardening
- HORT 4970/7970 – Advanced Controlled Environment Agriculture
SELECT PUBLICATIONS 2021
- Ayipio, E., Wells, D.E., Smith, M.R., and C. Blanchard. 2021. Performance of greenhouse-grown Beit Alpha cucumber in pine bark and perlite substrates fertigated with biofloc aquaculture effluent. Horticulturae. https://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae7060144
- Dorick, J., Hayden, M., Smith, M., Blanchard, C., Monu, E., Wells, D.E., Huang, T. 2021. Evaluation of Eschericia coli and coliforms in aquaponic water for produce irrigation. Food Microbiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2021.103801
SELECT PUBLICATIONS 2020
- Pattillo, D.A., Foshee, W.G., Blythe, E.K., Pickens, J.M., Wells, D.E., Monday, T.A., and T.R. Hanson. 2020. Perfomance of aquaculture effluent for tomato production in outdoor raised beds. HortTechnology. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH04655-20
- Blanchard, C.E., Wells, D.E., Pickens, J.M., and D.M. Blersch. 2020. Effect of pH on cucumber growth and nutrient availability in a de-coupled aquaponic system with minimal solids removal. Horticulturae 6, 10. https://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae6010010
SELECT PUBLICATIONS 2019
- Holmes, S.C., Wells, D.E., Pickens, J.M., and J.M. Kemble. 2019. Heat tolerance of Lactuca sativa L. cultivars grown hydroponically and consumer sensory evaluation of heat-tolerant hydroponic lettuce. Horticulturae 5(3). http://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae5030050.
- Warren, T.J., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Foshee, III, W.G., Williams, J.D., Browne, C., and J. Burkett. 2019. Pecan cultivar nut and foliar quality in low and high input orchards in Alabama. Intl. J. Fruit Sci. (accepted for publication).
- Brown, B.W., Sibley J.L., Wells, D.E., Torbert, H.A., Watts, D.B., Foshee, III, W.G., and D.J. Eakes. 2019. Evaluation of flue gas desulfurization gypsum stability in soilless substrates under typical greenhouse irrigation practices. HortTechnology (accepted for publication).
- Warren, T.J., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Foshee, III, W.G., and J.D. Williams. 2019. Fatty acids analysis of selected pecan cultivars. HortScience (accepted for publication).
- Polozola, M.F., Wells, D.E., Kessler, J.R., Foshee, W.G., Wright, A.N., and B. Wilkins. 2019. Long-term response to phosphorus banding in irrigated and non-irrigated pecan production. HortScience 54:1237-1242 https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI13662-18.
SELECT PUBLICATIONS 2018
- Bock, C.H., Hotchkiss, M.W., Shapiro-Ilan, D.I., Brock, J.H., Brenneman, T.B., Wilkins, B., Wells, D.E., Wells, L., and R.F. Mizell. 2018. A comparison of organic fungicides: alternatives for reducing scab on pecan. Org. Agr. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13165-018-0229-7.
- Hand, L.C., Foshee III, W.G., Monday, T.A., Wells, D.E., and D.P. Delaney. 2018. Preemergence herbicides applied pre- and post-crimp in a rye cover crop system for control of escape weeds in watermelon. HortTechnology 28:117-120.
- Paul, C.J., Robinson, C.W., Kessler, J.R., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Torbert, H.A., and D.B Watts. 2018. Evaluation of flue-gas desulfurization gypsum in poultry litter as a substrate component for greenhouse horticultural crops. Agricultural Research & Technology Open Access J. 13(3):1-12. https://doi.org/10.19080/ARTOAJ.2018.13.555886.
SELECT PUBLICATIONS 2017
- Wells, D.E., Beasley, J.S., Bush, E.W. and L.A. Gaston. 2017. Poultry litter ash rate and placement affect phosphorus dissolution in a horticultural substrate. J. Environ. Hort. 35(3):117-127.
- Wells, D.E., Beasley, J.S., Gaston, L.A., Bush, E.W and M.E. Thiessen. 2017. Reduction of phosphorus losses during greenhouse crop production through usage of poultry litter ash as a phosphorus source. HortScience 52:592-597.