- Arnold, Chelsea, Jisang Yu, Mykel Taylor, Leah H. Palm-Forster, and Simanti Banerjee. Preprint available. The role of risk in farmland contract choices. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Cuffey, Joel, Lauren Chenarides, Wenying Li, and Shuoli Zhao. 2023. Consumer spending patterns for plant-based meat alternatives. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy.
- Duke, Joshua M., Robert J. Johnston, Amy L. Shober, and Zhongyuan Liu*. 2022. Improving targeting of farmers for enrollment in Agri-Environmental Programs. Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy 1-25.
- Huseynov, Samir, Marco A. Palma, and Michelle Segovia. 2023. Distributional effects of perceptional financial scarcity and abundance on food choices. Journal of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 1-21.
- Miao, Ruiqing, Jerrod Penn, and Loka Ashwood. How to Thrive in Agricultural Economics PhD Programs: SAEA Emerging Scholar Award Winners’ Experience and Advice. Applied Economics Teaching Resources 5:1-20
- Miao, Ruiqing, H. Feng, DA Hennessy, G. Arora, CR Loesch. 2022. Grassland easement acquisition: Conversion hazard rate, additionality, spatial spillover, and heuristics. Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy
- Nadolnyak, Denis, and Dimitry Vedenov. Designing rainfall insurance contracts for pasture, rangeland, and forage. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Rabinowitz, Adam N., Yizao Liu, and Xuan Chen. The Impact of Price Regulations on Farm-Retail Price Transmission: The Case of Private Label Fluid Milk in the Supermarket Retail Outlet, Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy. Forthcoming.
- Skevas, T., Mykel R. Taylor, AM Featherstone. 2022. How different types of government payments and the elimination of direct payments affect farm productivity? Evidence from Kansas crop farms. Applied Economics 1-15.
- Pires, S.F., Ryan W. Thomson, G.A. Petrossian, M.C. Sosnowski. 2023. A social network analysis of large-scale wildlife seizures made at US ports of entry. Deviant Behavior 1-14.
- Won, Sunjae, Roderick M. Rejesus, Barry K. Goodwin, Serkan Aglasan. 2023 early release. Understanding the effect of cover crop use on prevented planting losses. American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Cuffey, Joel M., Bhagyashree Katare, Laura McMahon Fulford. 2023. Supplemental nutrition assistance program work requirements and emergency food assistance usage. American Journal of Preventative Medicine 1-8.
- Ashwood, L., A. Pliny, John Canfield*, M Jamila, Ryan Thomson. 2022. From big ag to big finance: A market network approach to power in agriculture. Agriculture and Human Values 39:1421-34.
- O. Awolala, I.A. Ajibefun, K. Ogunjobi, and Ruiqing Miao. 2022. Integrated assessment of human vulnerability to extreme climate hazards: Emerging outcomes for adaptation finance allocation in Southwest Nigeria. Climate and Development 14(2):166-183.
- Bailey, C., and Ryan Thomson. 2022. Heirs property, critical race theory, and reparations. Rural Sociology 87(4):1219-43.
- Brothers, Dennis L., Joshua M. Duke, Adam Rabinowitz, and Jose Garcia Gamez*. 2022. Factors affecting solar system profitability for southeastern broiler growers. Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers 5-15.
- Chen, Y., BW Brorsen, JT Biermacher, Mykel Taylor. 2022. Spatially varying wheat protein premiums. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences 15:587-98.
- Cornish, Brian*, Ruiqing Miao, and M. Khanna. 2022. Impact of changes in Title II of the 2018 farm bill on the acreage and environmental benefits of Conservation Reserve Program. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 44(2):1100-1122.
- Cozarenco, A., Valentina Hartarska, and A. Szafarz. 2022. Subsidies to microfinance institutions: How do they affect cost efficiency and mission drift? Applied Economics 54(44):5099-5132.
- Cuffey, Joel, and Timothy K.M. Beatty. 2022. Effects of competing food desert policies on store format choice among SNAP participants. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 104(4):1485-1511.
- Cuffey, Joel, Timothy K.M. Beatty, and Elton Mykerezi. 2022. Work effort and work requirements for food assistance among U.S. Adults. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 104(1):294-317.
- Cuffey, Joel, Wenying Li, Wendiam Sawadgo, and Adam Rabinowitz. 2022. Cross-hedging in the classroom: Engaging students in developing scholarly Extension output. Applied Economics Teaching Resources 4(2):59-83.
- Dorfman, J. H., Wenying Li, Jingfang Zhang*. 2022. Are Declining Auction Prices a Result of Bidder Behavior or Auctioneer Strategy? Evidence from Cattle Auctions. Journal of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 1-17
- Duke, Joshua M., and Joshua M. McGrath. 2022. An Agronomic-Economic Approach to Connect Manure Nutrients Back to Grain Producing Regions. Journal of Environmental Quality 51:552-565.
- Duke, Joshua M., Robert J. Johnston, Amy L. Shober, and Zhongyuan Liu*. 2022. Barriers to cover crop adoption: Evidence from parallel surveys in Maryland and Ohio. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation 77(2):198-211.
- DuPuis, EM, E Ransom, Michelle R. Worosz. 2022. Food supply chain shocks and the pivot toward local: Lessons from the global pandemic. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems 6:836574.
- Eaton, W.M., …, Michelle R. Worosz, C. Eberly, A. Rogers. 2022. Advancing the scholarship and practice of stakeholder engagement in working landscapes: A co-produced research agenda. Socio-Ecological Practice Research 4:283-304.
- Estes, M.G., J. Cruise, W.L. Ellenburg, R. Suhs, A. Cox, Max Runge, A. Newby. 2022. Evaluating ecosystem services for the expansion of irrigation on agricultural land. Land 11:2316.
- Goolsby, M., B. Campbell, J. Campbell, V. Shonkwiler, and Adam Rabinowitz. 2022. Perceptions of instituting nut bans for allergy avoidance. Journal of Food Distribution Research 53(2):98-113.
- Hartarska, Valentina, Denis Nadolnyak, and Nisha Sehrawat*. 2022. Beginning farmers’ entry and exit: Evidence from county level data. Agricultural Finance Review 82(3).
- He, M., Li, Wenying, Via, B. K, and Zhang, Y. 2022. Nowcasting of Lumber Futures Price with Google Trends Index Using Machine Learning and Deep Learning Models. Forest Products Journal 72(1):11-20.
- He, M., Wenying Li, M. Smidt, Y. Zhang. 2022. What Drives the Change in Employment in the U.S. Logging Industry? — A Directed Acyclic Graph Approach. Forest Products Journal 72(4):265-275.
- Katare, Bhagyashree, Shuoli Zhao, Joel Cuffey, Maria I Marshall, and Corinne Valdivia. 2022. Preferences toward COVID-19 diagnostic testing features: Results from a national cross-sectional survey. American Journal of Health Promotion 36(1):185-89.
- Khanna, Madhu and Ruiqing Miao. 2022. Inducing Sustainable Intensification of Agriculture: Insights from Applied Economics. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 66(1):1-23.
- Li, Wenying, Eric Andrew Finkelstein, and Chen Zhen. 2022. Intended and Unintended Consequences of Salient Nutrition Labels. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 104(2):853-872.
- Liyange*, Kumuditha D.H.E., Denis Nadolynak, Valentina Hartarska. Financial Inclusion of rural and urban households and the Dodd-Frank Act. International Journal of Economics and Finance 12(11):90-103
- Majumdar, A., H. Willis, B. Chaves-Cordoba, Adam Rabinowitz, A. Chambliss. 2022. Alabama Extension commercial horticulture virtual events and social media evaluation system during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of the National Association of County Agricultural Agents 15(1):1-
- McKendree, Melissa G.S., and Mykel Taylor. 2022. Extension program development for early career faculty. Applied Economics Teaching Resources 4(3):49-66.
- McKinney, Laura and Ryan Thomson. 2022. Landfills and Disasters: A Geospatial Analysis of Environmental Injustice Across the Southern United States. Environmental Sociology 8(2):173-186.
- Miao, Ruiqing, DA Hennessy, H Feng. 2022. Grassland easement evaluation and acquisition with uncertain conversion and conservation returns. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 70(1):41-61.
- Nadolnyak, Denis, and Valentina Hartarska. 2022. Nontraditional lenders and access to local agricultural credit markets by beginning and female farmers. Agricultural Finance Review 82(2).
- Palma, Marco A., Samir Huseynov, and Rudolfo M. Nayga Jr. 2022. Health versus income amid COVID-19: What do people value more? PLOS ONE 17(5):e0267004.
- Price, AN, R Pathak, GM Guthrie, M Kumar, H Moftakhari, H Moradkhani, Denis Nadolnyak, N Magliocca. 2022. Multi-level influences on center-pivot irrigation adoption in Alabama. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems 6:879161.
- Prokash, Deb*, Madan Dey, and Prasanna Surathkal. Fish price volatility dynamics in Bangladesh. Aquaculture Economics & Management 1-21.
- Rabinowitz, Adam N., and William Glen Secor. 2022. An economic analysis of nontraditional lending in Chapter 12 bankruptcy cases. Agricultural Finance Review 82(2):329-43.
- Sawadgo, Wendiam, and Alejandro Plastina. 2022. The invisible elephant: Disadoption of conservation practices in the United States. Choices 37(1).
- Shi, Y., ….Ruiqing Miao, …. 2022. Building social resilience in North Korea can mitigate the impacts of climate change on food security. Nature Food 3(7):499-511.
- Thomson, Ryan, and Tameka Samuels-Jones. 2022. Toxic Colonialism in the territorial isles: A geospatial analysis of environmental crime across U.S. territorial islands 2013-2017. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology 66(4):470-91.
- Worosz, Michelle R. Transdisciplinary research for wicked problems. Agriculture and Human Values 39:1185-89.
- You, Y., H. Tian, S. Pan, H. Shi, Z. Bian….Ruiqing Miao…. 2022. Incorporating dynamic crop growth processes and management practices into a terrestrial biosphere model for simulating crop production in the United States. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 325:109144.
- Bailey, Connor, A. Gopaul, Ryan Thomson, and A. Gunnoe. 2021. Taking Goldschmidt to the woods: Timberland ownership and quality of life in Alabama. Rural Sociology 86(1):50-80.
- Bhagyashree Katare, Shuoli. Zhao, Joel Cuffey, Maria I Marshall, Corinne Valdivia. 2021. Preferences toward COVID-19 diagnostic testing features: Results from a national cross-sectional survey. American Journal of Health Promotion 36(1):185-9.
- Chakrabarti, Anwesha, Benjamin Campbell, Adam N. Rabinowitz, and Brady Brewer. 2021. Use and Benefits Associated with State Marketing Programs. Q Open 1(2):
- Cornish, Brian*, Ruiqing Miao, and M. Khanna. 2021. Impact of changes in Title II of the 2018 farm bill on the acreage and environmental benefits of Conservation Reserve Program. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 2021:1-23.
- Cuffey, Joel, Christopher Lepczyk, Shuoli Zhao, and Nicholas Fountain-Jones. 2021. Cross-sectional association of toxoplasma gondii exposure with BMI and diet in US adults. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 15(10):e0009825.
- Duke, Joshua M., TianHang Gao. 2021. Land value taxation: A spatially explicit economic experiment with endogenous institutions. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 2021:1-22.
- Duke, Joshua M., John C. Bernard, and Gregory Vitz. 2021. Food labels for farmland preservation: Evidence from a field experiment. Food Policy 99:102011.
- Brizmohun, Roshini, Diana Alessandrini, Valentina Hartarska. 2021. Gender wage gap in small islands: Effect of a policy framework in Mauritius. Review of Development Economics. 25(4):2207-2229.
- Ghosh*, Prasenjit, Miao, Ruiqing, and Emir Malikov. 2021. Crop insurance premium subsidy and irrigation water withdrawals in the western United States. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance – Issues and Practice 1-25.
- He, M., Zhang, Y., Li, Wenying, and Schmit, M. 2021. Logging Industry in the United States: Employment, Firms, Technology, and Profitability. Forests 12: 1720.
- Huseynov, Samir, Marco A. Palma, and Ghufran Ahmad. 2021. Does the magnitude of relative calorie distance affect food consumption? Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 188(8):530-51.
- Huseynov, Samir, and Marco A. Palma. 2021. Food decision-making under time pressure. Food Quality and Preference 88:104072.
- Kinnucan, H.W., Das*, and I. K. Pettersen. 2021. A Welfare Analysis of Norway’s Export Promotion Program for Whitefish. European Review of Agricultural Economics. 1-25.
- Kinnucan, H.W., L.T.Y. Nguyen, and Das*. 2021. Benefits of R&D International Spillovers: The Case of Aquaculture. Aquaculture. 532:736308.
- Lamm, AJ, A Rabinowitz, KW Lamm, K Faulk. 2021. Measuring the aggregated public value of Extension. The Journal of Extension 58(6).
- Li, Wenying, and Jeffrey H. Dorfman. 2021. Intrahousehold economics of scale with application to food assistance and work incentive programs. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 103(4):1251-67
- Liu, Yizao, and Adam N. Rabinowitz. 2021. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on retail dairy prices. Agribusiness An International Journal 37(1):108-121.
- Majokweni*, Zipo-Zihle Pilela, and Joseph J. Molnar. 2021. Gender and rural vitality: Empowerment through women’s community groups. Rural Sociology 86(4):886-910.
- Muntifering, Matthew*. 2021. Air pollution, investor sentiment and excessive returns. Journal of Asset Management. 22:110-19.
- N’Guessan, Marie Noelle, Valentina Hartarska. 2021. Funding for BOP in emerging markets: Organizational forms and capital structures of microfinance Institutions. Research in International Business and Finance. 58:101511.
- Odabasi S, Valentina Hartarska. 2021. Farmer suicides: Effects of socio-economic, climate, and mental health factors. The Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics. 24(2):61-71.
- Otubo*, Oluchi, and Molnar, Joseph, and. 2021. Extension support for cassava (Manihot esculenta) production and processing in Nigeria: Impacts on farm practice adoption. Journal of Agricultural Extension & Rural Development 13(4): 243-51.
- Pless, Rachel, Susana Ferreira, John Bergstrom, and Adam Rabinowitz. 2021. Spatial and temporal trends in the economic value of biotic pollination services in Georgia, USA: 2009-2017. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 53(3):322-40.
- Rabinowitz, Adam N., and William Glen Secor. 2021. An economic analysis of nontraditional lending in Chapter 12 bankruptcy cases. Agricultural Finance Review 82(2):329-343.
- Regmi, Madhav, Allen M. Featherstone, Cortney A. Cowley, and Mykel R. Taylor. 2021. Big banks versus agricultural banks: Has too-big-to -fail regulation affected efficiency and scale economies measures? American Journal of Agricultural Economics 103(3):1164-1178.
- Sawadgo, Wendiam, and A. Plastina. 2021. Do cost-share programs increase cover crop use? Empirical evidence from Iowa. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 36:527-35.
- Sawadgo, Wendiam, W Zhang, and A. Plastina. 2021. What drives landowners’ conservation decisions? Evidence from Iowa. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 76(3):211-221.
- Si, Chengyu, Denis Nadolnyak, Valentina Hartarska. The gender wage gap in developing countries. Applied Economics and Finance 8(1):1-12.
- Stearns, Stacey F., and Adam N. Rabinowitz. 2021. Understanding milk consumption habits among college students in order to redesign outreach. Journal of Extension 59(2):9
- Taylor, M.R., N.P. Hendricks, G.S. Sampson, and D. Garr. 2021. The Opportunity Cost of the Conservation Reserve Program: A Kansas Land Example. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 43(2):849-865
- Wang, M., Denis Nadolnyak, and Valentina Hartarska. 2021. Malnutrition of boys and girls in Ethiopia. Research in Applied Economics 13(3):67-.
- Yu, Chengzheng, Ruiqing Miao, and M. Khanna. 2021. Maladaptation of corn and soybeans to a changing climate. Nature: Scientific Reports 11(1):1-12.
- Zhang, Jingfang*, Valentina Hartarska, and Emir Malikov. 2021. Product and geographic market diversification in US banking. Finance Research Letters. 42:101881.
*Indicates current or former departmental graduate students or post docs.
- Miao, Ruiqing, Yijia Li, and Madhu Khanna. 2020. Neonicotinoids and decline in bird biodiversity in the United States. Nature Sustainability 3:1027-1035.
- Yizao, Liu, Xuan Chen, Adam Rabinowitz, and Benjamin Campbell. 2020. Demand, challenges, and marketing strategies in the retail promotion of local brand milk. Agricultural Economics 51(5): 655-668.
- Worosz, Michelle, B. Farrell, and CA Jenda. 2020. Teaching critical thinking via the “Wicked problem” of food insecurity. portal: Libraries and the Academy 20(4):621-653.
- Miao, Ruiqing and Madhu Khanna. 2020. Harnessing advances in agricultural technologies to optimize resource utilization in the food-energy-water nexus. Annual Review of Resource Economics12:65-85.
- Li, Wenying, C. Zhen, and J.H. Dorfman. 2020. Modelling with flexibility through the business cycle: using a panel smooth transition model to test for the lipstick effect. Applied Economics 52(3):472-84.
- Taylor, Mykel R., N.P. Hendricks, G.S. Sampson, and D. Garr. 2020. The opportunity cost of the conservation reserve program: A Kansas land example. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy.
- Duke, Joshua M., Hongxing Liu, Tyler Monteith, Joshua McGrath, and Nicole Fiorellino. 2020. A method for predicting participation in a performance-based water quality trading program. Ecological Economics 177:1-10.
- Miao, Ruiqing. 2020. Climate, Insurance, and Innovation: The case of drought and innovations in drought-tolerant traits in U.S. Agriculture. European Review of Agricultural Economics 47(5)1826-60.
- Huseynov, S., Palma, M. A., and Rodolfo M. Nayga Jr. 2020. General public preferences for allocating scarce medical resources during COVID-19. Frontiers in Public Health 8:587423
- Muntifering, Matthew, and John N. Ng’ombe. 2020. Sample selection bias in hedonic pricing models of thoroughbred broodmares. Journal of Agribusiness 38(2):147-61.
- Sampson, G.S., E.D. Perry, and Mykel R. Taylor. 2020. The on-farm and near-farm effects of wind turbines on agricultural land values. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Muntifering, Matthew. 2021. Air pollution, investor sentiment and excessive returns. Journal of Asset Management. 22:110-19.
- Taylor, Mykel R., L. Sudbeck, C. Wilson, and J. Yu. 2020. Quality effects on Kansas land price trends. Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
- Malikov, Emir, Ruiqing Miao, and Jingfang Zhang. 2020. Distributional and temporal heterogeneity in the climate change effects on U.S. Agriculture. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 104:102.
- Li, Yijia, Ruiqing Miao, and Madhu Khanna. Neonicotinoids and decline in bird biodiversity in the United States. Nature Sustainability 3(12):1027-1035.
- Schilling, Brian, Sullivan, Kevin, J. Dixon Esseks, Lori Lynch, Joshua Duke, Paul Gottlieb. 2020. Farmland Owners’ Satisfaction with Agricultural Conservation Easements: Is there Seller’s Remorse? Society and Natural Resources 33(6):769-87.
- Muntifering, Matthew. 2019. Hurricane Michael impact on Bay County, Florida housing prices. Southern Business and Economic Journal. 42(2):43-53.
- Duke, Joshua M., Zhongyuan Liu, Jordan Suter, Kent Messer, and Holly Michael. 2020. Some taxes are better than others: an economic experiment analyzing groundwater management in a spatially explicit aquifer. Water Resources Research 56(7):1-18.
- Anand, Mohit, Ruiqing Miao, and Madhu Khanna. 2019. Adopting bioenergy crops: does farmers’ attitude toward loss matter? Agricultural Economics 50(4):1-16.
- Schillerberg, Tayler A., Di Tian, and Ruiqing Miao. 2019. Spatiotemporal patterns of maize and winter wheat yields in the United States: predictability and impact from climate oscillations. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 275:208-22.
- Li, Yijia, Ruiqing Miao, and Madhu Khanna. 2019. Effects of ethanol plant proximity and crop prices on land-use change in the United States. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 101(2):467-491.
- Huseynov, Samir, Kassas, B., Segovia, M.S., and Palma, M. 2019. Incorporating biometric data in models of consumer choice. Applied Economics 51(14):1514-31.
- Wilson, Norbert L.W., Ruiqing Miao, and Carter S. Weis. 2019. When in doubt throw it out! The complicated decision to consume or waste food by date labels. Choices 34(1):1-7.
- Miao, Ruiqing, Prasenjit N. Ghosh, Madhu Khanna, Weiwei Wang, and Jian Rong. 2019. Effect of wind turbines on bird abundance: a national scale analysis based on fixed effects models. Energy Policy 132:357-66.
- Bernard, John C., Joshua M. Duke, and Sara E. Albrecht. 2019. Do labels that convey minimal, redundant, or no information affect consumer perceptions and willingness to pay? Food Quality and Preference 71:149-157.
- Li, Wenying and J.H Dorfman. 2019. The implications of heterogeneous habit in consumer beverage purchases on soda and sin taxes. Food Policy 84:111-20.
- Naigaga, S., C. E Boyd, Joseph Molnar, and P. Gaillard. 2019. Potential influence of climate on Ugandan aquaculture. Journal of Advances in Agriculture 10:1787-1800.
- Li, Wenying, Y Li, and J.H. Dorfman. 2019. Dynamically changing cattle market linkages with supply-side-controlled transitions. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 51 (3):472-84.
- Palm-Forster, Leah H., and Joshua M. Duke. 2019. An endogenous equilibrium game on traffic congestion externalities. The J of Economic Education 50(1):57-69.
- Sheng Li, Denis Nadolnyak, and Valentina Hartarska. 2019. Agricultural land conversion: impacts of fconomic and natural risk factors in a coastal area. Land Use Policy 80(1):380-90.
- Khachatryan, K., V. Baghdasaryan, and Valentina Hartarska. 2019. Is the model ‘loans-plus-savings’ better for microfinance institutions? A PSM comparison. Review of Development Economics 23:1309-30.
- Nadolnyak Denis, Valentina Hartarska, and B. Griffin. 2019. The impact of weather, economic, and demographic factors on beginning farmers’ exit. Sustainability 11(16):4280 19.
- Shen Xuan, and Valentina Hartarska. 2018. Winners and losers from financial derivatives use by community banks. Applied Economics 50(41):4402-17.
- Tian, Hanqin, Chaoqun Lu, Shufen Pan, Jia Yang, Ruiqing Miao, Wen Ren, Qiang Yu, Bojie Fu, Fei-Fei Jin, Yonglong Lu, Jerry Melillo, Zhiyun Ouyang, Cheryl Palm, and John Reilly. 2018. Optimizing resource use efficiencies in the food-energy-water nexus for sustainable agriculture: from conceptual model to decision support system. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 33:104-13.
- Perz, Stephen, Heather Covington, Johanna Espin, Lauren Griffin, Flavia Leite, Anne Mook, Christine Overdevest, Tameka Samuel-Jones, and Ryan Thomson. 2018. Future directions in environmental and resource sociology: reflections on the specialty and suggestions for going forward. Environmental Sociology.
- Chen, R, Valentina Hartarska, and N. Wilson. 2018. The causal impact of HACCP on seafood imports in the U.S.: an application of difference-in-differences within the gravity model. Food Policy 79:166-78.
- Ng, D., Aragon, L., and Huseynov, Samir. 2018. Seek and you shall find: the role of exploitive and explorative search in a biotechnology firm’s patent claims. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review 22:1030-2019-1646 321-337.
- Kokoye, S., C. Jolly, Joseph Molnar, D. Shannon, G. Huluka. 2018. Farmer willingness to pay for soil testing services in Northern Haiti. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 50(3):429-51.
- Molnar, Joseph, and L. Cui. 2018. Why don’t we do it in the field? Vidalia onion producer perspectives on harvest, sort, and storage technologies. Journal of Agriculture and Life Science 5(1):1-14.
- Malikov, E. and Valentina. Hartarska. 2018. Endogenous scope economies in microfinance. Journal of Banking and Finance 93:162-82.
- Wilson, Norbert L.W., Ruiqing Miao, and Carter S. Weis. 2018. Seeing is not believing: perceptions of date labels over food and attributes. Journal of Food Products Marketing 24(5):611-31.
- Duke, Joshua M., and TianHang Gao. 2018. An experimental economics investigation of the land value tax: Efficiency, acceptability, and positional goods. Land Economics 94(4):475-95.
- Huseynov, Samir and Palma, M.A. 2018. Does California’s low carbon fuel standards reduce carbon dioxide emissions? PloS One 13(9).
- Quaye F., Nadolnyak Denis, and Valentina Hartarska. 2018. Climate change impacts on farmland values in the southeast. Sustainability 10(10):3426.
- Sun H., Valentina Hartarska, L. Zhang, and Denis Nadolnyak. 2018. The Influence of social capital on farm household’s borrowing behavior in Rural China. Sustainability 10(12)43-61.
- Finkelstein EA., Wenying LI, G. Melo, K. Strombotne, and C Zhen. 2018. Identifying the effect of shelf nutrition labels on consumer purchases: results of a natural experiment and consumer survey. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 107(4)647-51.
- Fooks, Jacob R., Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, Janet B. Johnson, Tongzhe Li, and George R. Parsons. 2017. Tourist viewshed externalities and wind energy production. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 46(2):224-41.
- Nadolnyak, Denis, Valentina Hartarska, and X. Shen 2017. Farm credit system credit and farm income and output. Agricultural Finance Review 77(1):95-110.
- Miao, Ruiqing and Madhu Khanna. 2017. effectiveness of the biomass crop assistance program: roles of behavioral factors, credit constraint, and program design. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 39(4):584-608.
- Telligman, A., Michelle R. Worosz, and C. Bratcher. 2017. A qualitative study of Southern U.S. consumers’ top of the mind beliefs about the safety of local beef. Appetite 18:1-10.
- Messer, Kent D., Joshua M. Duke, Lori Lynch, and Tongzhe Li. 2017. When does public information undermine the efficiency of reverse auctions for the purchase of ecosystem services? Ecological Economics 134:212-26.
- Fooks, Jacob R., Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, Janet B. Johnson, and George R. Parsons. 2017. Continuous attribute values in a simulation environment: offshore energy production and Mid-Atlantic beach visitation. Energy Policy 110:288-302.
- Miao, Ruiqing and Madhu Khanna. 2017. Costs of meeting a cellulosic biofuel mandate with perennial energy crops: implications for policy. Energy Economics 64:321-34.
- Stutzman-Jones, E., Joseph Molnar, R. Graham, G. Atukunda, and J. Walakira. 2017. Understanding the role of fish farmer associations as intermediaries for aquacultural development in Uganda. Fisheries and Aquaculture Journal 8(3) 1-12.
- Gradl, J. and Michelle R. Worosz. 2017. Assessing the scientific basis of the agricultural water provision of the FSMA Produce Safety Rule. Food & Drug Law Journal 72(3):451-71.
- Telligman, A., Michelle R. Worosz, and C. Bratcher. 2017. Local as an indicator of beef quality: An exploratory study of consumers in the Southern U.S. Food Quality and Preference 57:41-53.
- Baek, U., and Joseph Molnar. 2017. South Korean perceptions of soft power: how the Hanguk people see their place in the world. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Review 3(3) 23-37.
- Lee, Jaehyuk, Denis Nadolnyak, and Valentina Hartarska. 2017. The effect of weather on agricultural labor supply. Journal of Agribusiness 35(1):15-27.
- Khachatryan, K., Valentina Hartarska, and Grigoryan, A. 2017. Performance and capital structure of microfinance institutions in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Journal of Eastern European Economics 55(5):395-419.
- Duke, Joshua M. and David Sassoon. 2017. A classroom game on a negative externality correcting tax: Revenue return, regressivity, and the double dividend. Journal of Economic Education 48(2):65-73.
- Quaye,F., Denis Nadolnyak, and Valentina. Hartarska. 2017. Factors affecting farm loan delinquency in the Southeast. Research in Applied Economics Vol 9(4):75-92.
- Duke, Joshua M., Kent D. Messer, Lori Lynch and Tongzhe Li. 2017. The effect of information on discriminatory-price and uniform-price reverse auction efficiency: an experimental economics study of the purchase of ecosystem services. Strategic Behavior and the Environment 7(1–2):41-71.
- Kokoye, S., C. Jolly, Joseph Molnar, D. Shannon, B. Bayard, P. Mathieu, and G. Huluka. 2017. Economics of soil conservation practices in Northern Haiti. Tropical Agriculture 94:42-51.
- Kang, Ezer, Darcie Delzell, Paul E. McNamara, Joel Cuffey, Anil Cherian, and Saira Mathew. 2016. Poverty indicators and mental health functioning among adults living with HIV in Delhi, India. AIDS Care 28(4): 416-22.
- Miao, Ruiqing, Madhu Khanna, and Haixiao Huang. 2016. Responsiveness of crop yield and acreage to price and climate. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(1):191-211.
- Fooks, Jacob, Nate Higgins, Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, Daniel Hellerstein, and Lori Lynch. 2016. Conserving spatially explicit benefits in ecosystem service markets: Lab and artefactual field tests of network bonuses and spatial targeting. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(2):468-88.
- Zhongxing L I., J. Molnar, and Shunqiang Sun. 2016. An analysis of policy optimization concerning sustainable agricultural development in China based on the 2014 US Farm Bill. Asian Agricultural Research 8(3):8-11.
- Duke, Joshua M., Brian J. Schilling, Kevin P. Sullivan, J. Dixon Esseks, Paul D. Gottlieb, and Lori Lynch. 2016. Illiquid Capital: are conservation easement payments reinvested in farms? Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 38(3):449-73.
- Duke, Joshua M., Jules Bruck, Susan Barton, Megan Murray, Shreeram Inamdar, and Douglas W. Tallamy. 2016. Public preferences for ecosystem services on exurban landscapes: A case study from the mid-Atlantic USA. Heliyon 2(7):1-27.
- Nadolnyak, Denis., Valentina Hartarska, and X. Shen. 2016. Climate variability & agricultural loan delinquency in the US. International Journal of Economics and Finance 8(9): 238-49.
- Bachman, Matthew, Shreeram Inamdar, Sue Barton, Joshua M. Duke, Doug Tallamy, Jules Bruck. 2016. A comparative assessment of runoff water quality from turf, forest, meadow, and mixed landuse watersheds. Journal of American Water Resources Association 52(2):397-408.
- Kick, Edward, Laura McKinney, and Ryan Thomson. 2016. Waste throughout North Carolina with implications for agricultural production. Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Aspects.
- Quaye, FM, and Valentina Hartarska. 2016. Investment impact of microfinance credit in Ghana. International Journal of Economics and Finance 8(3):137-50.
- Cui, L., and Joseph Molnar. 2016. Growing naturally in a postmodern age: how low-income producers contend with organic food trends. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 21 (8):29-36
- Miao, Ruiqing, Hongli Feng, David A. Hennessy, and Xiaodong Du. 2016. AssessingcCost-effectiveness of the Conservation Reserve Program and its interaction with crop insurance subsidies. Land Economics 92(4):593-617.
- Cuffey, Joel, Timothy K.M. Beatty, and Lisa Harnack. 2016. The potential impact of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) restrictions on expenditures: A systematic review. Public Health Nutrition 19(17): 3216-31.
- Denny, R.C.H., M.R. Worosz, and N.L.W. Wilson. 2016. The importance of governance levels in alternative food networks: The case of red meat inspection rules. Rural Sociology.
- Naigaga, S., C. E. Boyd, P. Gaillard, H. A. Abdelrahman, and Joseph Molnar. 2016. Assessing the reliability of water-test kits for use in pond aquaculture. World Aquaculture 47(3):47-51.
- Matuha, M., Joseph Molnar, C. Boyd, and J. Terhune. 2016. The role of mobile phones in facilitating aquaculture development in Uganda. World Aquaculture 47(1):39-46.
- Du, Xiaodong, Cindy L. Yu, David A. Hennessy, and Ruiqing Miao. 2015. Geography of crop yield skewness. Agricultural Economics 46(4):463-73.
- Hartarska, Valentina.,Denis Nadolnyak, and X Shen. 2015. Agricultural credit and economic growth in rural areas. Agricultural Finance Review 75(3): 302–12.
- Zhou, F., S. Sun, and Joseph Molnar. 2015. Evaluation of the development of circular agriculture in Sichuan Province based on the coefficient of variation. Asian Agricultural Research 7(3):56-60.
- Miao, Ruiqing and David A. Hennessy. 2015. Optimal protein segregation strategies for wheat growers. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 63(3):309-31.
- Delgado M., C Parmeter, Valentina Hartarska and R Mersland. 2015. Should all microfinance institutions mobilize microsavings? Evidence from economies of scope. Empirical Economics 48:193–225.
- Molnar, Joseph., S., Kokoye, C. Jolly, D. Shannon, and G. Huluka. 2015. Agricultural development in Northern Haiti: mechanisms and means for moving key crops forward in a changing climate. Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences 4(2):25–41.
- Duke, Joshua M., and Ben Attia. 2015. Negotiated solar rights conflict resolution: A comparative institutional analysis of public and private processes. Journal of Environmental & Sustainability Law 22(1):1-52.
- Schilling, Brian J., J. Dixon Esseks, Joshua M. Duke, Paul D. Gottlieb, and Lori Lynch. 2015. The future of preserved farmland: Ownership succession in three mid-Atlantic states. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 5(2):129-53.
- Fooks, Jacob R., Kent D. Messer, and Joshua M. Duke. 2015. Dynamic entry, reverse auctions, and the purchase of ecosystem services. Land Economics 91(1):57-75.
- Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Robert J. Johnston, and Kent D. Messer. 2015. The effect of spatial interdependencies on prioritization and payments for environmental services. Land Use Policy 48:341-50.
- Gottlieb, Paul D., Brian J. Schilling, Kevin Sullivan, J. Dixon Esseks, Lori Lynch, and Joshua M Duke. 2015. Are preserved farms actively engaged in agriculture and conservation? Land Use Policy 45:103-16.
- Egan, Jennifer M., and Joshua M. Duke. 2015. Water quality conflict resolution and agricultural discharges: Lessons from Waterkeeper v. Hudson. William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review 39(3):533-74.
- Hartarska, Valentina. Roy Mersland, and Denis Nadolnyak 2014. Are women better bankers for the poor: Evidence from rural microfinance institutions? American Journal of Agricultural Economics 96(5):1291-1306.
- Li, S, Z.Yang, D. Nadolnyak, Y.Zhang, and Y.Luo. 2014. Economic impacts of climate change: Evidence from freshwater aquaculture profits in China. Aquaculture Research 47(5):1537-48.
- Miao, Ruiqing and Madhu Khanna. 2014. Are bioenergy crops riskier than corn? Implications for biomass price. Choices 29(1).
- Li, S., Denis Nadolnyak, J.D. Wesley, and Y. Zhang. 2014. Fertilizer industry subsidies in China: Who are the beneficiaries? China Agricultural Economic Review 6(3):433-51
- Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Robert J. Johnston, and Kent D. Messer. 2014. Prioritizing payment for environmental services: Using nonmarket benefits for cost effective selection. Ecological Economics 105:319-29.
- Wilson, N.L.W. and Michelle R. Worosz. 2014. Zero tolerance rules for food safety and quality. Food Policy 45:112-15.
- Miao, Ruiqing, David A. Hennessy, and Hongli Feng. 2014. Sodbusting, crop insurance and sunk conversion costs. Land Economics 90(4):601-22.
- Miao, Ruiqing and David A. Hennessy. 2014. To learn or to change: Optimal R&D Investments under uncertainty in the case of climate change. Natural Resource Modeling 27(2):235-57.
- Liu, Zhuo, Jordan F. Suter, Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, and Holly A. Michael. 2014. Strategic entry and externalities in groundwater resources: Evidence from the lab. Resource and Energy Economics 38:181-97.
- Li, Jingyuan, Holly A. Michael, Joshua M. Duke, Kent D. Messer, Jordan F. Suter. 2014. Behavioral response to contamination risk information in a spatially explicit groundwater environment: Experimental evidence. Water Resources Research 50(8):6390–405.
- Walakira, J.K., Joseph Molnar, R. Phelps, and J. Terhune. 2014. Culturing the African lungfish in Uganda: Effects of exogenous fish feed on growth performance in tanks. Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences 15(2):137–55.
- Shen X., and Valentina Hartarska. 2013. Derivatives as risk management and performance of agricultural banks. Agricultural Finance Review, 73(2):290–309.
- Miao, Ruiqing. 2013. Impact of ethanol plants on local land use change. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 42(2): 275-93.
- Feng, Hongli, David A. Hennessy, and Ruiqing Miao. 2013. The effects of government payments on Native Grassland Conversion, the CRP, and corn acreage changes in the Dakotas. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(2):412-18.
- Bukenya, J. O., T. S. Hyuha, Joseph Molnar, and Twinamasiko. 2013. Efficiency of resource use among pond fish farmers in central Uganda: a stochastic frontier production function approach. Aquaculture Economics & Management 17(2):148-70.
- Popkin, Jennifer H., Joshua M. Duke, Allison M. Borchers, and Thomas Ilvento. 2013. Social costs from proximity to hydraulic fracturing in New York State. Energy Policy 62:62-9.
- Miller, Kate, and Joshua M. Duke. 2013. Additionality and water quality trading: Institutional analysis of nutrient trading in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Georgetown International Environmental Law Review 25(4):521-47.
- Prevatt, C., J. Novak, W. Prevatt, Michelle R. Worosz, K. Balkcom, W. Birdsong, B. Gamble, and J. Howe. 2013. A return-risk analysis of Southern row-crop enterprises and the sod-based rotation. Journal of Agribusiness 31(1&2):35-45.
- Chavez, H., Denis Nadolnyak, and J. Kloepper. 2013. Impact of microbial inoculants as an Integrated pest management tool in apple production. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 45(4):655-67.
- Nadolnyak, Denis, and D. Vedenov. 2013. Information value of climate forecasts for rainfall Insurance for pasture, rangeland, and forage in the Southeast U.S. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 45(1):109-24.
- Stuart, D. and Michelle R. Worosz. The myth of efficiency: Technology and ethics in industrial food production. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 26(1): 231-56.
- Schilling, Brian J., Kevin P. Sullivan, and Joshua M. Duke. 2013. Do residual development options increase preserved farmland values? Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 38(3):327- 43.
- Hartarska, Valentina, Shen, X., and R. Mersland. 2013. Scale Economies and elasticities of substitution in microfinance institutions. Journal of Banking and Finance 37(1): 118-31.
- Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Kent D. Messer. 2013. Cost-effective conservation planning: Lessons from economics. Journal of Environmental Management 125:126-33.
- Arnold, Michael A., Joshua M. Duke, and Kent D. Messer. 2013. Adverse selection in reverse auctions for ecosystem services. Land Economics 89(3):387-412.
- Nadolnyak Denis and Valentina Hartarska. 2013. El Niño and agricultural lending in the Southeastern U.S.A. Southern Business and Economics Journal 36(1):35-56.
- Suter, Jordan F., Joshua M. Duke, Kent D. Messer, and Holly A. Michael. 2012. Behavior in a spatially-explicit groundwater resource: Evidence from the lab. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(5):1094-1112.
- Miao, Ruiqing, David A. Hennessy, and Bruce A. Babcock. 2012. Investment in cellulosic biofuel refineries: Do waivable biofuel mandates matter? American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(3):750-62.
- Hartarska, Valentina and Denis Nadolnyak. 2012. Board size and diversity as governance mechanisms in community development loan funds in the USA. Applied Economics 44(33): 4313-29.
- Nadolnyak, Denis, and Valentina Hartarska. Agricultural disaster payments in the Southeastern U.S.: Do weather and climate variability matter? Applied Economics 44(33):4331-42.
- Stuart, D. and Michelle R. Worosz. 2012. Risk, anti-reflexivity, and ethical neutralization in industrial food processing. Agriculture and Human Values 29:287-301.
- Duke, Joshua M., Allison M. Borchers, Robert J. Johnston, and Sarah Absetz. 2012. Sustainable agricultural management contracts: Using choice experiments to estimate the benefits of land preservation and conservation practices. Ecological Economics 74:95-103.
- Hartarska, Valentina, and R. Mersland. 2012. What governance mechanisms promote efficiency in reaching poor clients? Evidence from rated MFIs. European Financial Management 18(2):218-39.
- Hartarska, Valentina and Denis Nadolnyak. 2012. Financing constraints and access to credit in post crisis environment: Evidence from new farmers in Alabama. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 44(4):1–15.
- Worosz, Michelle R. and N.L.W. Wilson. 2012. A cautionary tale of purity, labeling and product literacy in the gluten-free market. Journal of Consumer Affairs Summer:288-318.
- Hartarska, Valentina, Denis Nadolnyak, and X. Shen. Social performance and cost minimizing MFI Size. Journal of Cost Management September/October, 20-8.
- Hartarska Valentina, Nadolnyak, and X. Shen. 2012. Efficiency in microfinance cooperatives Iberoamerican. Journal of Development Studies 1(2):53-74.
- Wu, T. Mixon, F., S Caudil, D. Gropper, and Valentina Hartarska. Does input-substitutability in banking differ across accession: and non-accession countries in Central and Eastern Europe? Journal of Economic Integration 27(1):1095-205.
- Borchers, Allison M. and Joshua M. Duke. 2012. Capitalization and proximity to agricultural and natural lands: Evidence from Delaware. Journal of Environmental Management 99:110-17.
- Caudill, S., D. Gropper, and Valentina Hartarska. 2012. Microfinance institution costs: effects of gender, subsidies and technology. Journal of Financial Economic Policy 4(4):292-319.
- Walakira, J., G. Atukunda, Joseph Molnar, and K. Veverica. 2012. Prospects and potential for aquaculture of African lungfish in Uganda. World Aquaculture 43(3)38-45.
- Hartarska, Valentina; C. Parmeter, and Denis Nadolnyak. 2011. Economies of scope of lending and mobilizing deposits in rural MFIs: a semiparametric analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 93(2):389-98.
- Miao, Ruiqing. 2011. Bargaining between Firms and environmental protection bureaus: water pollution in China. China Agricultural Economic Review 3(1):80-91.
- Nadolnyak, Denis, M.J. Miranda, and I.M. Sheldon. 2011. Genetically modified crops as real options: identifying regional and country-specific differences. International Journal of Industrial Organization 29(4):455-63.
- Hyuha, T. S., J. O. Bukenya, J. Twinamasiko, and Joseph Molnar. 2011. Profitability analysis of small scale aquaculture enterprises in Central Uganda. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture 3(15):271–78.
- Bain, C., E. Ransom, and Michelle R. Worosz. 2011. Constructing credibility: Using technoscience to legitimate strategies in agrifood governance. Journal of Rural Social Sciences 25(3):160-92.
Majors & Minors
Graduate Degrees & Programs
Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology Dept.
202 Comer Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849