About the Ag Alumni Association
The Agricultural Alumni Association of Auburn University was founded in 1981 by alumni and friends of Auburn University’s College of Agriculture, Agribusiness Education, the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System. The association was formed to support the College of Agriculture through the promotion of its programs, the increase of alumni involvement in the college, the fostering of communications between alumni and college faculty and staff, and encouraging agricultural careers among young people.
- To provide, within the existing Auburn University Alumni Association, an organization whose specific aim is to promote unity for support of Auburn University, its agricultural programs, and the agricultural industry.
- To provide an organization through which agricultural alumni and others interested in agriculture can participate more fully in the agricultural programs of Auburn University.
- To foster communications and maintain association among Auburn Agricultural Alumni, faculty, and others interested in agriculture.
- To encourage youth to pursue careers in agriculture.
- Though each component is essential, the third purpose of fostering communication and maintaining acquaintances is especially meaningful to a majority of the membership as they strive to keep contact with former classmates, friends, and faculty at Auburn.
To foster communication, the Association contributes information to Ag Illustrated –the College of Agriculture’s quarterly news publication, hosts a Fall Roundup get-together preceding AU’s homecoming football game, and holds an annual Agricultural Hall of Honor Banquet in conjunction with the annual business meeting.
1982 Billy Powell
1983 James Barnes
1984 Aubrey Smith
1985 Galen Grace
1986 Cecil Davis
1987 John Spence
1988 Larry Lee
1989 Jimmy Collins IV
1990 Greg Gregory
1991 Doug Davis
1992 Joe Yeager
1993 Steve Musser
1994 Dave Bradford
1995-96 Doug Rigney
1997-98 Ray Hilburn
1999-00 Ron Holladay
2001-02 Mike Kilgore
2003-04 Tim Wood
2005-06 Jeff Helms
2007-08 Jim Tollison
2009-10 Richard Holladay
2011-12 Bill Gilley
2013-14 Sutton Moore Gibbs
The association is active in supporting the students in the College of Agriculture. The College of Agriculture awards more than $600,000 in scholarships annually to undergraduate students. Annually, the association contributes more than $25,000 to College of Agriculture scholarships. These awards are funded in a variety of ways. One-hundred percent of life dues are added to the association’s scholarship endowment. Each year, two scholarships are funded from earnings on the endowment: the Ag Alumni/Ag Ambassador Scholarship and the Ag Alumni/Bill Alverson Scholarship.
Proceeds from an annual auction, held in conjunction with Homecoming activities, fund the Fall Roundup Scholarship. Three memorial scholarships have been established through the association: these include the Charles F. Simmons Memorial, E. V. and Martha North Smith Memorial and L. Aubrey Smith Memorial scholarships.
The Agricultural Alumni Association is also a strong supporter of the FFA and 4-H organizations. The association annually sponsors the State FFA and 4H statewide awards. In support of these activities, the association sponsors proficiency awards so that FFA members are given the opportunity to compete and demonstrate talents learned in agriscience classrooms and FFA chapters around the state.
The association also assists in supporting student groups and organizations. The association provides financial support to help fund student recruiting activities as well as other Ag Ambassador and Ag Council events and projects.
On the morning of graduation, the College of Agriculture hosts a breakfast for graduates, their family and friends. Members of the association present certificates to graduates who are receiving New Graduate Life Memberships. Graduates are encouraged to continue their involvement with the association and the college.