Admission & Enrollment

Your process for enrolling in an online course will depend on your level of student status. Use the links below to begin your admission to Auburn University as an undergraduate, graduate or non-degree-seeking student. Please note that enrollment in a certificate course does not require official admission to the university.

APPLY AS a NEW Graduate Student

In order to be admitted as a graduate student in one of our online degree programs, you first need to apply to the Auburn University Graduate School. In addition, review the faculty page and find a professor who is willing to advise you in your graduate studies. It is a good idea to send a letter of interest or intent to the potential major professor as well.

All applicants should plan to provide the following as part of the application…

  • Completed Application through The Graduate School
  • All official Transcripts – email to
  • At least 3 Professional or Academic References – provided as part of the application
  • Statement of Purpose– email to
  • GRE Scores (MS Applicants Only) – send to university code 1005

Note some applicants may be required to provide additional documentation.  Contact the Distance Education Office ( for typical qualifications.

Graduate Degree Programs CSES FACULTY DIRECTORY

Apply to AU Graduate School  

ENROLL AS A Fully Admitted Undergraduate or Graduate Student

As an undergraduate or graduate student of Auburn University, you may enroll through AU Access. Distance education course numbers end in 6 for graduate courses and 3 for undergraduate courses. Laboratory courses end in 1. When choosing a lab course, be sure to choose the section designed for distance education students.

AU Access


APPLY AS A Transient Student

If you are enrolled at another university and wish to complete an online course to transfer back to your university, you will need to apply for status as a transient student.

Undergraduate Transient  Graduate Transient

Students enrolling in certificate Programs

Online certification programs are available for individuals wishing for professional or educational enrichment.

View Certificate Programs

enroll in A Single Certificate Course

These courses are for non-academic credit and are only available under special circumstances. Please contact the Distance Education Office ( for more information.   

Non-Credit Courses More Information

ENROLL AS A Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Student

Applicants wishing to take courses outside of an Auburn University degree program and who hold a four-year degree in any subject should apply as non-degree-seeking (NDS) through The Graduate School. These courses are eligible for college credit but will not count toward a degree at Auburn.

Note: If you later decide to enroll in one of our graduate programs, you may apply up to two semesters of courses taken before your admission as a degree-seeking student.

Graduate Courses 

Apply for a Graduate Course

APPLY AND ENROLL AS AN Undergraduate Student

If you wish to take an undergraduate course for Auburn University credit but are not yet enrolled as an undergraduate student, you must apply for admission to the university.

Undergraduate Courses 

Apply for Admission