Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology
Get In Touch
305 Comer Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36879
- Ph.D., University of Georgia
- MS, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- BS, Renmin University of China
- 2020 – Present, Assistant Professor of Quantitative Methods – Auburn University
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2021, Outstanding AJAE Article Award, Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- 2020, 1st Place in Job Market Paper Competition at 2020 SAEA Annual Meeting, Louisville, KY
- 2015, Senior Statistician, Royal Statistical Society, UK
- American Economic Association (AEA)
- Royal Statistical Society, UK (RSS)
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA)
- Southern Agricultural Economics Association (SAEA)
For research, I integrate big data techniques into traditional econometrics methods to draw causal inferences and present a unique perspective of economic phenomena. Specifically, I estimate demand systems and household collective models using large household and retail scanner data.
- AGEC 3200 – Quantitative Methods (Auburn, Undergraduate)
- AGEC 7690 – Microeconometrics I (Auburn, Ph.D.)
- AGEC 8690 – Microeconometrics II (Auburn, Ph.D.)
- Cuffey, J., Lauren, C., Li, W., & Zhao, S. (Forthcoming). “Consumer Spending Patterns for Plant-Based Meat Alternatives” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (Special Issue on Plant-Based Meat Alternatives)
- Li, W., Finkelstein, E. A, & Zhen, C. (2022). “Intended and Unintended Consequences of Salient Nutrition Labels” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 104 (2), 853-872.
- He, M., Li, W., Via, B. K, & Zhang, Y. (2022). “Nowcasting of Lumber Futures Price with Google Trends Index Using Machine Learning and Deep Learning Models” Forest Products Journal, 73(1): 11-20 (SCI).
- Li, W., & Dorfman, J. H. (2021). “Intrahousehold Economies of Scale with Application to Food Assistance and Work Incentive Programs” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 103(4), 1251-1267
- He, M, Schmit, M., Li, W., & Zhang, Y. (2021). “Logging Industry in the United States: Employment, Firms, Technology, and Profitability” Forests, 12(12), 1720 (SCI).
- Li, W., Zhen, C., & Dorfman, J. H. (2019). Beauty burst during economic decline: an empirical test of the lipstick effect. Applied Economics, 52(25), 2694-270.
- Li, W., & Dorfman, J. H. (2019). The implications of heterogeneous habit in consumer beverage purchases on soda and sin taxes. Food Policy, 84, 111-120.
- Li, W., Li, Y., & Dorfman, J. (2019). Dynamically Changing Cattle Market Linkages with Supply-Side-Controlled Transitions. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 51(3), 472-484.
- Finkelstein, E. A., Li, W., Melo, G., Strombotne, K., & Zhen, C. (2018). Identifying the effect of shelf nutrition labels on consumer purchases: results of a natural experiment and consumer survey. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 107(4), 647-651 (SCI/SSCI, 2020 Impact Factor: 7.05).