School of Fisheries, Aquaculture & Aquatic Sciences
Get In Touch
EW Shell Fisheries Center
2101 N College St
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- Ph.D. in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences (2016) South Dakota State University, SD USA
- M.S. Biology (2011) Purdue University-Fort Wayne, IN, USA
- BMSc. Medical Sciences (2008), University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Jan. 2021 – Present – Assistant Professor-Aquatic Animal Health, Auburn University
- Nov. 2017 – Dec. 2020 – Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Sciences, University of Idaho
- 2016 – 2017 – Aquatic Animal Health Specialist (Fish Pathologist), Missouri Department of Conservation
- 2012 – 2016 – Research Scientist-Aquaculture Nutrition and Immunology, Prairie AquaTech
- 2012 – Adjunct Instructor – Anatomy and Physiology, Brown Mackie College
- Idaho Chapter of the American Fisheries Society
- American Fisheries Society (Fish Health and Culture Sections)
- United States Aquaculture Society
- World Aquaculture Society
My aquatic animal health research program focuses on fish health and disease issues within warmwater aquaculture production systems. Using an applied approach, our lab aims to translate research findings from the bench to the production facility. Specifically, my fish health research focuses include:
- Host-pathogen interactions
- Mechanisms of virulence in emerging fish pathogens and the fish immune response
- Nutritional aspects of fish health (including alternative feed ingredients and feed-based therapeutants/immunostimulants)
- Aquaculture vaccine design, optimization, and delivery strategies
- Characterization of the immune response and pathogen susceptibility in up-and-coming fish species with production potential
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- FISH 5410/6410 – “Introduction to Fish Health” (Fall Semester)
RECENT OR SELECT PUBLICATIONS
- Bruce, T.J., J. Ma, P.S. Sudheesh, and K.D. Cain. 2021. Quantification and comparison of gene expression associated with iron regulation and metabolism in a virulent and attenuated strain of Flavobacterium psychrophilum. (In Press) Journal of Fish Diseases.
- Bruce, T.J., J. Ma, E.M. Jones, B.M. Vuglar, L.P. Oliver, and K.D. Cain. 2021. Assessment of Flavobacterium psychrophilum-associated mortality in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). (In Press) Journal of Fish Diseases.
- Bruce, T.J., J. Ma, J., C. Knupp, T.P. Loch, M. Faisal, and K.D. Cain. 2020. Cross-protection of a live- attenuated Flavobacterium psychrophilum immersion vaccine against novel Flavobacterium spp. and Chryseobacterium spp. strains. Journal of Fish Diseases 43(8):915-928.
- Bruce, T.J., J. Ma, L. P. Oliver, B.R. Lafrentz, and K.D. Cain. 2020. Isolation and experimental challenge of cultured burbot (Lota lota maculosa) with Flavobacterium columnare and Aeromonas sp. isolates. Journal of Fish Diseases 43(8):839-851.
- Bruce, T.J., S. Gulen, L.P. Oliver, J. Ma, and K.D. Cain. 2020. Evaluation of commercial and experimental grower diets for use in intensive burbot (Lota lota maculosa) culture. Aquaculture 528:735490.
- Kasiga, T., B.M. White, T.J. Bruce and M. L. Brown. 2020. Effect of fish meal replacement with carinata Brassica carinata in low animal protein diets of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum on trypsin activity, protein, and amino acid digestibility and bioavailability. Aquaculture Research 51(5):2134-2149.
- Oliver, L.P., J. Ma, T.J. Bruce, J.T. Evavold, D.B. Korbel, and K.D. Cain. 2020. Triploid induction in cultured burbot (Lota lota) using thermal and hydrostatic shock. Aquaculture 515:734582.
- Kasiga, T., A.L. Fey, M.A. Berhow, T.J. Bruce and M. L. Brown. 2020. Growth, feeding and thyroxine-related responses of of hybrid striped (sunshine) bass (Morone chrysops X M. saxatilis ) fed de-oiled carinata Brassica carinata meal. Aquaculture Nutrition 26(1):109-122.
- Ma, J., T.J. Bruce, E. Jones, and K.D. Cain. 2019. A review of fish vaccine development strategies: Conventional methods and modern biotechnological approaches. Microorganisms 7(11):569.
- Ma, J., T.J. Bruce, L.P. Oliver, and K.D. Cain. 2019. Co-infection of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) with infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus and Flavobacterium psychrophilum. Journal of Fish Diseases 42:1065-1076.
- Ma, J., T.J. Bruce, P.S. Sudheesh, C. Knupp, T.P. Loch, M. Faisal, and K.D. Cain. 2019. Assessment of cross-protection to heterologous strains of Flavobacterium psychrophilum following vaccination with a live-attenuated coldwater disease immersion vaccine. Journal of Fish Diseases 42:75-84.
- Civiello, J. A., T.J. Bruce, S.J. Brisco, and J.T. Briggler. 2018. Propagation of Eastern hellbender (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) in a recirculating aquaculture system at Shepherd of the Hills State Fish Hatchery. North American Journal of Aquaculture 81(4):281-290.
- Bruce, T. J., R.D. Neiger, and M.L. Brown. 2018. Gut histology, immunology, and the intestinal microflora of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum) fed process variants of soybean meal. Aquaculture Research 49:492-504.
- Bruce, T. J. and M.L. Brown. 2017. A review of immune system components, cytokines, and immunostimulants in cultured finfish species. Open Journal of Animal Sciences 7:267-288.
- Bruce, T. J., S.C. Sindelar, M.L. Brown, M.E. Barnes, and J.C. Voorhees. 2017. Performance and immunological responses of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fed bioprocessed plant-based protein diets. Aquaculture Nutrition 23:1160-1168.
- Barnes, M. E., M. L. Brown, T. J. Bruce, R. Neiger, and S. Sindelar. 2015. Effects of a fermented soybean meal diet on rainbow trout mortality and immune function during a disease outbreak. Journal of Aquaculture Feed Science and Nutrition 7:6-15.
- Barnes, M. E., M. L. Brown, T. Bruce, S. Sindelar, and R. Neiger. 2014. Rainbow trout rearing performance, intestinal morphology, and immune response after long-term feeding of high levels of fermented soybean meal. North American Journal of Aquaculture 76:333-345.