Get In Touch
202H Poultry Science Building
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 2012 – Doctor of Philosophy, Horticulture, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 2008 – Master of Science, Food Science and Technology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 2005 – Bachelor of Science, Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University, South Korea
- 2019-present – Assistant Professor, Poultry Science Department, Auburn University, Auburn, AL,
- 2015-2019 – Assistant Professor, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- 2012-2015 – Post-Doctoral Associate, Food Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Society of Sensory Professionals (SSP)
- Korean-American Food Technologists Associations (KAFTA)
The Sensory Science and Consumer Research program focuses on contributing a deeper understanding of what factors influence sensory perception, eating behavior, and purchasing behavior of consumers.
- Integrate sensory and consumer research to promote healthier eating behaviors;
- Understand sensory perception and eating behavior associated with internal & external factors and personal & environmental factors;
- Combine instruments (Electronic Tongue, Electronic Nose, Gas Chromatography, Texture Analyzer, Colorimeter, etc.) and sensory methods to measure food quality;
- Develop new and innovative products that promote a healthier life.
- Improvement of stevia-sweetened products and consumer perception toward stevia (USDA NIFA SCRI Project #2017-51181-26828)
- Influence of stunning methods on chicken meat sensory quality/the US consumer perception of poultry welfare (USDA ARS, Sustainability of poultry processing research)
- FDSC 1000 — Introductory Food Science
- FDSC 5430/6430 — Food Chemistry
- FDSC 5730/6730 — Sensory Evaluation
- Williams, R., Moazzem, M.S., Dees, J., Hayden, M., Cho, S. 2023. Acceptability of zero-sugar added pound cakes under blind and informed testing conditions, Journal of Food Science, http://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.16773 (published online).
- Kim, W., Lee, D., Wu, G., Cha, L., Moazzem, M.S.*, Cho, S., Kim, D-J. 2023. Molecularly imprinted chemiresistive sensor for specificrecognition of furaneol as a biomarker of strawberry flavor conditions, ACS Sensors, 4, 1542-1549.
- Cho, S. Moazzem, S. 2022. Review. Recent applications of potentiometric electronic tongue and electronic nose in sensory evaluation. Preventive Nutrition and Food Science. 27,1-11.
- Muenprasitivej, N., Tao, R., Nardone, S. J., Cho, S. 2022. The effect of steviol glycosides on sensory properties and acceptability of ice cream. Foods, 11, 1745.*15 pages
- Balan, V., Novak, D., Knudson W., Jones D. A., Auras, R., Cho, S., Rodgers, A., Ubanwa, B. 2021. Nutritious mushroom protein crisp-healthy alternative to starchy snack. Food Production, Processing and Nutrition, 3,33.*15pages
- Tao, R., Cho, S. 2020. Consumer-based sensory characterization of steviol glycosides (Rebaudioside A, D, and M). Foods, 9, E1026 *A total of 15 pages
- Szczygiel, E.J., Cho, S., Tucker, R.M. 2019. The effect of sleep curtailment on hedonic responses to liquid and solid food. Foods, 8, 465.
- Szczygiel, E.J., Cho, S., Snyder, M.K., Tucker, R.M. 2019. Associations between chemosensory function, sweet taste preference, and previous night’s sleep in non-obese males. Food Quality Preference, 75, 105-112.
- Szczygiel, E.J., Cho, S., Tucker, R.M. 2019. Multiple dimensions of sweet taste perception altered after sleep curtailment. Nutrients, 11, 2015-2034.
- Szczygiel, E.J., Cho, S., Tucker, R.M. 2018. Characterization of the relationships between sleep duration, quality, architecture and chemosensory function in non-obese females. Chemical Senses, 00, 1-6.
- Seo, H.-S. and Cho, S. 2018. Focus group interviews with U.S. Americans with respect to recipe and sensory characteristics of Seolgitteok (Korean rice-flour cake). Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science, 34, 15-26.
- Szczygiel, E., Harte, J.B., Strasburg, G.M., Cho, S. 2017. Consumer acceptance and aroma characterization of navy bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) powders prepared by extrusion and conventional processing methods. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 97, 4143-4150.
- Cho, S., Camacho, A., Patten, E., Costa, D., Damiao, B., Fuller, S., da Palma L., Seo, H-S. 2017. The effect of cigarette smoking on sensory evaluation of common beverages. Chemosensory Perception. 10, 1-7.
- Samant, S.S., Cho, S., Whitmore, A.D., Oliveira, S.S., Mariz, T.B., Seo, H-S. 2016. The influence of beverages on residual spiciness elicited by eating spicy chicken: Time-Intensity Analysis. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 51, 2406-2415.
- Rodriguez-Arzuaga, M., Cho, S., Billiris. M., Siebenmorgen, T.J., Seo, H.-S. 2016. Impacts of degree of milling on the appearance and aroma characteristics of raw rice. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 96, 3017-3022.
- Cho, S., Yoon, S.H., Min, J., Lee, S., Tokar, T., Lee, S.-O., Seo, H.-S. 2016. Variation in U.S. consumer acceptability of Korean rice cake, Seolgitteok, with respect to sensory attributes and nonsensory factors. Journal of Food Science. 81, S199-207.
- Yang, F., Cho, S., Seo, S.-H. 2016. Effects of light color on consumers’ acceptability and their willingness to eat apples and bell peppers. Journal of Sensory Studies. 31, 3-11.
- Rayaprolu, S., Hettiarachchy, N., Aldoury, M., Cho, S., Moseley, D., Chen, P. 2015. Physical and textural attributes of freeze-dried genetically modified and non-genetically modified soy beans. Journal of Food Nutrition Sciences. 3, 119–125.
- Cho, S., Han, A., Taylor, M.H., Huck, A.C., Mishler, A.M., Mattal, K. L., Barker, C., Seo, H.-S. 2015. Blue lighting decreases the amount of food consumed in men, but not in women. Appetite. 85, 111–117.
- Cho, S., Yoon, S.H., Min, J., Lee, S., Lee, S.-O., Tokar, T., Seo, H.-S. 2014. Sensory characteristics of Seolgitteok (Korean rice cake) in relation to the addition levels of brown rice flour and sugar. Journal of Sensory Studies. 29, 371–383.
- Hasenbeck, A., Cho, S., Meullenet, J.-F., Tokar, T., Yang, F., Huddleston, E.A., Seo, H.-S.(Hasenbek and Cho are co-first authors). 2014. Color and illuminance level of lighting can modulate willingness to eat bell peppers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94, 2049–2056. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6523.
- Cho, S., Nuijten, E., Shewfelt, R.L., Kays, S.J. 2014. Aroma chemistry of African Oryza glaberrima and Oryza sativa rice and their interspecific hybrids. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94, 727–735. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6329.
- Seo, H.-S., Lee, S., Cho, S. 2013. Relationships between personality traits and attitudes toward a sense of smell. Frontiers. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00901.
- Cho, S., Kays, S.J. 2013. Aroma-active compounds of wild rice (Zizania palustris L.). Food Research International. 54, 1463–1470.
- Cho, S., Choi, Y., Lee, J., Eitenmiller, R.R. 2010. Optimization of enzyme extractions for total folate in cereals using response surface methodology. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 58, 10781–10786.
- Phillips, K.M., Ruggio, D.M., Ashraf-Khorassani, M., Eitenmiller, R.R., Cho, S., Lemar, L.E.,Perry, C.R., Phersson, P.R., Holden, J.M. 2010. Folic acid content of ready-to-eat cereals determined by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry: comparison to product label and to values determined by microbiological assay. Cereal Chemistry. 87, 42– 49.