Dean & Director
Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station / College of Agriculture / Department Heads & Managers
Get In Touch
107 Comer Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- Ph.D., Agricultural Economics Purdue University 1994
- M.S., Agricultural Economics Purdue University 1987
- B.S., (High Honors) Agricultural Business & Economics Auburn University 1985
- Feb. 2016 – Present Dean and Professor, College of Agriculture, Auburn University
- Feb. 2016 – Present Director, Alabama Agriculture Experiment Station
- June 2009 – Jan. 2016 Associate Dean of Instruction & Professor, College of Agriculture, Auburn University
- June 2009 – Present Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology, College of Agriculture, Auburn University
- Jan. 2007 – May 2009 Dean, Morrison School of Management & Agribusiness, Arizona State University
o Interim Dean, July 2006 – Dec. 2006
o Professor, July 2006 – May 2009
o Associate Professor, July 2001 – June 2006
o Assistant Professor, Aug. 1995 – 2001
- Jan. 1995 – July 1995 Research Associate, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University
- Aug. 1989 – Dec. 1994 Graduate Research Fellow, Research/Teaching Assistant, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University
- July 1987 – Aug. 1989 Agricultural Economist, Foreign Agricultural Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington DC
- Aug. 1985 – Aug. 1987 Research Assistant, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University
- Sept. 1984 – Aug. 1985 Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Auburn University
- June 1984 – Sept. 1984 Student Assistant Agricultural Statistician, USDA Statistical Reporting Service, Montgomery, AL
- May 1980 – June 1984 Student Research Technician, Department of Agronomy and Soils, Auburn University
NATIONAL LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
- Advocacy Chair, Budget and Advocacy Committee, Board of Agriculture Assembly, Association of Public Land-Grant Universities (APLU), 2018 – 2019
- Chair, Southern Administrative Heads, APLU, 2019
- Chair-elect, Southern Administrative Heads, APLU, 2018
- Program Chair, LEAD21, 2015 – 2016
- Co-chair, Graduate Travel Fellowships Review Committee, Western Agricultural Economics Association, 2005
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Outstanding Advising Award Certificate of Merit – Administrator, National Academic Advising Association, 2016
- Excellence in Advising – Advising Administration Award, National Academic Advising Association Region 4, 2016
- Auburn University Outstanding Advising Award – Advising Administrator, 2016
- Best Article, 2007. Contemporary Economic Policy (with Timothy J. Richards and Abebayehu Tegene), Western Economic Association International
- Outstanding Journal Article, 2006. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics (with Timothy J. Richards), Southern Agricultural Economics Association
- Award of Excellence, Researcher of the Year, 2001/2002. Arizona State University East
SELECT RESEARCH GRANTS
- A Case Study on Carbon Emissions and the Economic Impact of Local Food Production: The Case of Rousseau Farming Company. ($12,780). Paul M. Patterson, Timothy J. Richards. Rousseau Farming Company, Sept. 2008.
- Evaluation of the US Potato Board Promotion Programs. ($52,000). Timothy J. Richards, Paul M. Patterson. U.S. Potato Promotion Board, July 2006.
- Fruit and Vegetable Policy Analysis Project ($261,872). Paul M. Patterson, Timothy J. Richards, Albert Kagan. University of Missouri. June 2006.
SELECT NATIONAL CONFERENCE PAPERS & PRESENTATIONS
- Batte, Jared, Patricia Duffy, and Paul M. Patterson. “Factors Affecting Freshmen Retention in the College of Agriculture.” Selected poster, Southern Agriculture Economics Association Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Feb. 2-6, 2013.
- Nganje, William, Michelle Wolfe, Andrew Fearne, and Paul M. Patterson. “U.K. Consumers’ Reaction to Food Scare and Preferences for Turkey Products with Price Promotion Strategy.” Selected paper, WERA-72, Western Education, Extension, and Research Activities Committee on Agribusiness, Las Vegas, NV, June 7-9, 2009.
- Patterson, Paul, M. “Current Global Economic Conditions and their Effect on Agriculture.” Invited speaker, Yuma Fresh Vegetable Association Annual Meeting, Yuma, Arizona, Dec. 3, 2008.
- Chaloupka, K., D. Eakes, P. Patterson, C. Robinson, J. Williams, and A. Martin. “Recommendations for Recruiting Tomorrow’s Horticulture Students.” NACTA Journal,
- Nganje, William E., Renee Shaw Hughner, Paul M. Patterson. “The Perception of Risks and Preferences for Locally Grown Produce: A Marketing Systems Approach.” Journal of Food Products Marketing. 20(2014):196-214.
- Richards, Timothy J., Stephen F. Hamilton, Paul M. Patterson. “Spatial Competition and Private Labels.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 35(2010):183-208.
- Richards, Timothy J., Paul M. Patterson, and Stephen F. Hamilton. “Fast Food, Addiction and Obesity.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 32(2007):425-447.
- Richards, Timothy J., Paul M. Patterson, and Abebayehu Tegene. “Obesity and Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?” Contemporary Economic Policy, 25(2007):309-324. (Best article award)
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Firm-Level Competition in Price and Variety.” Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 38(2006):491-512. (Best article award)
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Native American Obesity: A Test of the Thrifty Gene Theory.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 88(2006):542-560.
- Patterson, Paul M. “State Grown Promotion Programs: Fresher, Better?” Choices, 21(2006):41-46.
- Acharya, Ram N., Paul M. Patterson, Esther P. Hill, Troy G. Schmitz, Erica Bohm. “An Evaluation of the ‘TrEAT Yourself Well’ Restaurant Nutrition Campaign.” Health Education and Behavior, 33(2006):309-324.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “A Bilateral Comparison of Fruit and Vegetable Consumption: U.S. and Canada.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 30(2005):333-349.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Sales Promotion and Cooperative Retail Pricing Strategies.” Review of Industrial Organization, 26(2005):391-413.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Retail Price Fixity as a Facilitating Mechanism.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 87(2005):85-102.
- Patterson, Paul M. and Samuel Cardona-Martínez. “State and Origin Branding in Hispanic Food Markets.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, 35(2004):7-18.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Slotting Allowances as Real Options: An Alternative Explanation.” Journal of Business, 77(2004):675-696.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Retail Price Fixity: Causes and Consequences.” Journal of Economics and Business, 56(2004):117-136.
- Patterson, Paul M., Timothy J. Burkink, Rozlyn Lipsey, Jason Lipsey, Richard Roth, and Mary Martin. “Targeting Tourists with State Branding Programs.” Agribusiness: An International Journal, 19(2003):525-538.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Competition in Fresh Produce Markets: An Empirical Analysis of Marketing Channel Performance.” Contractor and Cooperator Report No. 1, Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, September 2003.
- Sexton, Richard J., Timothy J. Richards, and Paul M. Patterson. “Retail Consolidation and Produce Buying Practices: A Summary of the Evidence and Potential Industry and Policy Responses.” Giannini Foundation Monograph No. 45, December 2002.
- Richards, Timothy J., and Paul M. Patterson. “Minimum Effective Scale in Export Promotion.” Agribusiness: An International Journal, 18(2002):523-541.