Associate Professor & Alfa Eminent Scholar
Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology
Get In Touch
213 Comer Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University
- MS, Montana State University
- BS, Montana State University
- 2021 – Present – Associate Professor, ALFA Endowed Eminent Scholar – Auburn University
- 2011 – 2020 – Assistant/Associate Professor – Kansas State University
- 2008 – 2011 – Assistant Professor – Washington State University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers: Leadership Institute Attendee, September 2018.
- K-State Research and Extension Award: Extension Professional of the Year. October 2017
- K-State Research and Extension Program Focus Team Award: “Farm Management PFT.” October 2017.
- K-State Research and Extension Team Award: “2014 Farm Bill Education Team” comprised of State Extension Specialists and County Extension Agents from across Kansas. October 2015.
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA), 2008 – Present
- Western Agricultural Economics Association (WAEA), 2008 – Present
- Southern Agricultural Economics Association (SAEA), 2021 – Present
- North Central Farm Management Extension Committee, 2012 – 2021
- Chairperson: North Central Farm Management Extension Committee, 2017-2018
- Chair: Extension Section of AAEA, 2018 – 2020
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- AGEC 5010/6010 – Advanced Farm Management
- AGEC 3050 – Farm Appraisal
- AGEC 1000 – Global Issues in Food, Agriculture, Development, and Environment
Note: Please see my CV below for a full list of publications.
- Arnold, C., J. Yu, M. Taylor, L. Palm-Forster, S. Banerjee. “The Role of Risk in Farmland Contract Choices.” Forthcoming in Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Skevas, T., M. Taylor, and A.M. Featherstone. 2023 “How different types of government payments and the elimination of direct payments affect farm productivity? Evidence from Kansas crop farms.” Applied Economics, 55(14):1621-1635.
- McKendree, M., and M. Taylor. 2022. “Extension Program Development for Early Career Faculty.” Applied Economics and Teaching Resources. 4(3):49-66.
- Chen, Y., B.W. Brorsen, J.T. Biermacher, and M. Taylor. 2022. “Spatially Varying Wheat Protein Premiums.” Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, 15:587-598.
- Regmi, M., A. Featherstone, C. Cowley, M. Taylor. 2021. “Big Banks versus Agricultural Banks: Has Too-Big-To-Fail Regulation Affected Efficiency and Scale Economies Measures?” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 103(3):1164-1178.
- Taylor, M.R., N.P. Hendricks, G.S. Sampson, and D. Garr. 2021. “The Opportunity Cost of the Conservation Reserve Program: A Kansas Land Example.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 43(2):849-865.
- Taylor, M.R., L. Sudbeck, C. Wilson, and J. Yu. 2020. “Quality Effects on Kansas Land Price Trends.” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, pp. 167-170.
- Sampson, G.S., E.D. Perry, and M.R. Taylor. 2020. “The On-farm and Near-farm Effects of Wind Turbines on Agricultural Land Values.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 45(3):410-427.
- Bekkerman, A., and M.R. Taylor. 2020. “The Role of Spatial Density and Technological Investment on Optimal Pricing Strategies in the Grain Handling Industry.” Review of Industrial Organization, 57(1):27-58.
- Sampson, G., N. Hendricks, and M.R. Taylor. 2019. “Land Market Valuation of Groundwater.” Resource and Energy Economics, 58: 101-120.
- Taylor, M.R., and G.T. Tonsor. 2019. “Impact of Extension Education on 2014 Farm Bill Enrollment Decisions by Kansas Producers.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 44(1): 213-226.
- Hendricks, N.P., I. Kisekka, V. Sharda, and M. Taylor. 2018. “The Value of Water in GMD 5.” Report commissioned by Water Protection Association of Central Kansas. December 20, 2018.
- Horse Welfare: Action Needed to Address Unintended Consequences from Cessation of Domestic Slaughter. GAO Report, GAO-11-228 (with L. Shames, J. Jones, J. Ashley, M. Braza, A. Capaccio, B. El-Osta, E. Gunn, T. Horner, Jr., A. Liles, K. Lloyd, J. Malcolm, J. Mingus, K. Raheb, and C. Hernstadt) , June 2011.
Taylor, M.R. 2020. “Kansas Land Values – Impacts of COVID-19.” Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
Taylor, M.R. 2020. “2019 Kansas County-Level Land Values for Cropland and Pasture.” Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics, Publication AM-MRT-2020-1.
Reid, R., and M.R. Taylor. 2020. “Kansas Agricultural Land Values and Trends, 2019”. Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
Taylor, M.R., and A.M. Featherstone. 2020. “The Kansas Farm Economy: Navigating Rough Waters.” Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
Reid, R., and M.R. Taylor. 2019. “Kansas Agricultural Land Values and Trends, 2018”. Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.