Crop, Soil & Environmental Sciences
Get In Touch
256 Funchess Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 2010 Ph.D. in Agronomy, Texas A&M
- 2006 M.S. in Crop Physiology, University of Tennessee
- 2002 B.S. in Biology, University of Tennessee
- 2016 – present Assistant Professor, Cotton and Soybean Breeder, Dept of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences, Auburn University
- 2010 – 2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, CSIRO, Narrabri, Australia, Cotton Breeder
- Crop Science Society of America (CSSA)
- Agronomy Society of America (ASA)
- National Association of Plant Breeders (NAPB)
- Association of Australian Cotton Scientists (AACS)
- International Cotton Researchers Association (ICRA)
- Disease resistance breeding in cotton and soybean
- Cultivar by management strategies for improving yield potential
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- CSES 5100/6100 – Plant genetics and crop improvement
Book Chapters: (1)
- Constable, G. A., D. Llewelyn, S.A. Walford, J.D. Clement. 2014. Breeding for fibre quality in cotton. In: Cruz, V. M., Dierirg, D.A. (eds) Industrial field crops: Breeding for BioEnergy & Bioproducts. Springer, New York, NY.
Refereed Journal Articles: (11)
- Clement, J.D., Constable, G. A., Stiller, W. N., and Liu, S.M. 2015. Early generation selection strategies for breeding better combinations of cotton yield and fibre quality. Field Crops Res. 172: 145-152.
- Clement, J.D., Constable, G. A., and Liu, S.M. 2014. Increasing cotton seed fibre density as a breeding strategy to improve fibre fineness. Field Crops Res. 160: 81- 89.
- Clement, J.D., Constable, G. A., and Walford, S.A. 2014. Improving the precision in estimating cotton seed fibre density. Field Crops Res. 160: 77- 80.
- Hague, S.S., Smith, C. W., Faircloth, J. C., Berger, G., Clement, J, and Jones, DC. 2014. Evaluation of cotton productivity by fruiting zone in diverse growing locations. J. Cotton Sci. 18: 166-172.
- Osabe, K., Clement, JD, Bedon, F, Pettolino, FA, Ziolowski, L, Llewelyn, D. J., Finnegan, EJ, Wilson, IW. 2014. Genetic and DNA Methylation Changes in Cotton (Gossypium) Genotypes and Tissues. PlosOne. 9: 1- 9.
- Clement, J.D., G. A. Constable and W. C. Conaty. 2013. CO2 exchange rate in cotton does not explain negative associations between lint yield and fiber quality. J. of Cotton Sci. 17: 270-278.
- Clement, J.D., Constable, G. A., Stiller, W. N., and Liu, S.M. 2012. Negative associations still exist between yield and fibre quality in cotton breeding programs in Australia and the USA. Field Crops Research. 128: 1- 7.
- Clement, J.D., Hague, S.S., and Gould, J.H. 2012. Differential genotypic response to exogenous IAA in field- grown upland cotton. J. of Cotton Sci. 16:34- 41.
- Hague, S.S., Smith, C.W., Berger, G., Clement, J., and D.C. Jones. 2011. Variation in an Extra-Long staple Upland X medium staple Upland cotton F2 population. J. of Cotton Sci. 15:265-270.
- Gwathmey, C.O., and J.D. Clement. 2010. Alteration of cotton source-sink relations with plant population density and mepiquat chloride. Field Crops Res. 116: 101-107.
- Clement-Bailey, J.D. and C.O. Gwathmey. 2007. Potassium effects on partitioning, yield and earliness of contrasting cotton cultivars. Agron. J. 99:1130-1136.