Glenn B. Fain
Get In Touch
119A Funchess Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 2001 Doctor of Philosophy in Horticulture. Auburn University, Auburn, AL. Dissertation title: Formulation and Evaluation of Experimental Extended Delivery Pre-Emergent Herbicide Carriers for Direct Application to Nursery Containers.
- 1998 Master of Science in Horticulture. Auburn University, Auburn, AL. Thesis title: Effects of Cyclic Micro-Irrigation and Substrate in Pot-In-Pot Production.
- 1986 Bachelor of Science in Horticulture.. Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- 2012 – PresentAssociate Professor, October, Department of Horticulture, Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- August 2007 – September 2012 Assistant Professor, Horticulture, Department of Horticulture, Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- June 2004 – July 2007 Research Scientist (Horticulture), USDA-ARS Southern Horticulture Laboratory, Poplarville, MS.
- February 2002 – June 2004 Assistant Research Professor, Department of Plant Sciences, Mississippi State University, Truck Crops Branch Experiment Station
- American Society of Horticultural Science
- International Plant Propagators Society
- International Society of Horticultural Science
- Southern Nursery Association
- Alabama Nursery Association
Investigating the use of forest-based biomasses for use as alternative growth substrtates for production of container-grown greenhouse and nursery crops.
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- HORT 2040 Organic Gardening
- HORT 2043 Organic Gardening (Distance)
- HORT 2240 Plant Propagation
- HORT 3280 Landscape Construction
- HORT 3920 Internship
- HORT 5150 Retail Garden Center Management
- HORT 5210 Landscape Bidding
- Heilsnis, B.J.*, G.B. Fain, J.R. Kessler and D.E. Wells. 2018. Pre-plant nitrogen rates in alternative substrates affects production of Impatiens ×walleriana. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 68:(in press).
- Krofft, C.E., A.F. Newby, J.M. Pickens, and G.B. Fain. 2018. An on-site analysis of irrigation management practices in four container nurseries in Alabama. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 68:(in press).
- Y. Chen, J.R. Kessler, Jr, G.J. Keever, and G.B. Fain. 2018. Effects of growing season, plant stage of development, and substrate drench applications of paclobutrazol as compared to a daminozide standard on growth and flowering of gerbera daisy ‘Bright Red with Light Eye’. J. Environ. Hort. 36:66–72.
- Marble, S.C., S.A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and P.R. Knight. 2016. Species and media effect on soil carbon dynamics in the landscape. Scientific Reports 6:25210 http://doi.org/10.1038/srep25210.
- Vandiver, T.A., G.B. Fain, A.M. Murphy, C.H. Gilliam, and J.L. Sibley. 2015. Distilled eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana L.) as an alternative substrate in the production of greenhouse-grown annuals. J. Environ. Hort. 33:166-172.
- Keever, G.J., J.R. Kessler, Jr., G.B. Fain, and D.C. Mitchell. 2015. Seedling developmental stage at transplanting affects growth and flowering of medallion flower and globe amaranth. J. Environ. Hort. 33:53-57.
- Witcher, A.L., E.K. Blythe, G.B. Fain, and K.J. Curry. 2015. Suitability of whole pine tree substrates for seed propagation. J. Environ. Hort. 33:20-28.
- Edwards, L.E., A.F. Newby, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and A.M. Murphy. 2014. Evaluation of eastern redcedar substrate in the production of four annual species. J. Environ. Hort. 32:167-173.
- Witcher, A.L., E.K. Blythe, G.B. Fain, and K.J. Curry. 2014. Stem cutting propagation in whole pine tree substrates. HortTechnology 24:30-37.
- Boyer, C.R., T.V. Gallagher, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, H.A. Torbert, and J.L. Sibley. 2012. Description of clean chip residual forest harvest and its availability for horticultural uses in the southeastern United States. HortTechnology 22:381-387.
- Boyer, C.R., H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, T.V. Gallagher and J.L. Sibley. 2012. Nitrogen immobilization in plant growth substrates: Clean chip residual, pine bark and peatmoss. Intl. J. Agron. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ija/2012/978528/
- Marble, S.C.*, G.B. Fain, S.A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.G. Gilliam, and J.L. Sibley, and P.R. Knight. 2012. Landscape establishment of woody ornamentals grown in alternative wood-based substrates. J. Environ. Hort. 30:13-16.