Brenda V. Ortiz
Professor & Extension Specialist
Crop, Soil & Environmental Sciences
Get In Touch
226 Funchess Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849
- 2008 Ph.D., University of Georgia, Athens (Biological & Agricultural Engineering)
- 1997 B.S., University Nacional de Colombia-University del Valle, Cali (Agricultural Engineering)
- 2008 – present Associate professor – Grain Crops & Precision Agriculture Specialist,
Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences Department — Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- 2004 – 2008 Research Assistant – Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 1997 – 2004 Research Assistant, Geographic Information System area.
Colombian Sugar Cane Research Center – Centro de Investigación de la Caña de Azúcar de Colombia, CENICAÑA
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2015 Leader, Precision Agriculture Systems Community of the American Society of Agronomy
- 2014 NIFA Partnership Award received from USDA-NIFA. For outstanding leadership and innovation in climate extension, by engaging agricultural producers and helping the implement them management strategies to protect crops from weather extremes.
- 2014 National winner of Achievement Award received from the National Association County Agricultural Agents
- 2014 National winner of Search for Excellence award – Remote Sensing & Precision Ag Category from the National Association County Agricultural Agents
- 2014 Alabama winner of Achievement Award received from the Alabama Association County Agricultural Agents
- 2014 Alabama winner of Search for Excellence award – Remote Sensing & Precision Ag Category from the Alabama Association County Agricultural Agents
- 2011 Dean’s Grantsmanship Award 2011 – College of Agriculture. Auburn University
- 2004 – present American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE
- 2009 – present American Society of Agronomy (ASA)
- 2009 – present Crop Science Society of America
– Evaluation of different management practices to reduce aflatoxin contamination in corn
– Study the impact of weather and climate on agriculture especially corn and wheat crops
– Identification of adaptation strategies to reduce climate-related risk in agriculture
– Use of crop growth modeling to evaluate different management strategies for improving grain production
– Evaluation of irrigation scheduling strategies (sensor-based) for corn and soybean production
– Evaluation of crop sensing technologies for variable rate application of nitrogen.
- Mourtzinis, S., B. V. Ortiz, D. Damianidis. 2016. Climate Change and ENSO Effects on Southeastern US Climate Patterns and Maize Yield. Scientific Reports. Accepted on July 23, 2016. Pending for on-line publication.
- Sarkar, R., B. V. Ortiz, K. Balkcom. 2015. Strategic adaptation of nitrogen management for El Nino Southern Oscillation-induced winter wheat systems. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change. DOI 10.1007/s11027-015-9676-6
- Woli, P, B. V. Ortiz, J. Johnson, G. Hoogenboom. 2015. El Niño-Southern Oscillation effects on winter wheat in the southeastern USA. 2015. Agronomy Journal 107:2193–2204
- Tian, D., S. Asseng, C. J. Martinez, V. Misra, D. Cammarano, B. V. Ortiz. 2015. Does decadal climate variation influence wheat and maize production in the southeast USA? Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 204, 1–9
- Vellidis, G., B. Ortiz, J. Beasley, R. Hill, H. Henry, H. Brannen. 2014. Reducing Digging Losses by Using Automated Steering to Plant and Invert Peanuts. Agronomy 4(3), 337-348; doi:10.3390/agronomy4030337
- Torino, M. S., B.V. Ortiz, J. P. Fulton, K. S. Balkcom, and C. W. Wood. 2014. Evaluation of Vegetation Indices for Early Assessment of Corn Status and Yield Potential in the Southeastern United States. Agronomy Journal 106:1389–1401. doi:10.2134/agronj13.0578.
- Woli, P., B.V. Ortiz, D. Buntin, K. Flanders. 2014. El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) Effects on Hessian Fly (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) Infestation in the Southeastern USA. Environmental Entomology Journal. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/EN14032
- Ortiz, B. V., K. B. Balkcom, L. Duzy, E. van Santen, D. L. Hartzog. 2013. Evaluation of agronomic and economic benefits of using RTK-based autoguidance systems on peanut production. Journal of Precision Agriculture 14(4): 357-375. DOI 10.1007/s11119-012-9297-y
- Tapley, M., B. V. Ortiz, and E. van Santen. 2013. Location, Seeding Date, and Variety Interactions on Winter Wheat Yield in the Southeast USA. Agronomy Journal 105:509-518. doi:10.2134/agronj2012.0379
- Ortiz, B. V., D. G. Sullivan, C. Perry, P. Lu, R. Kemerait, R. F .Davis, A. Smith, G. Vellidis, R. Nicholds. 2012. Variable Rate Application of Nematicides on cotton Fields: A Promising Site-Specific Management Strategy. Journal of Nematology 44(1): 31-39.
- Ortiz, B. V., D. G. Sullivan, C. Perry, G. Vellidis. 2011. Delineation of management zones for southern root-knot nematode using fuzzy clustering of terrain and edaphic field characteristics. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis journal 42(16): 1972-1994.
- Ortiz, B. V., S. Thomson, Huang, Y., K. N. Reddy, W. Ding. 2011. Determination of differences in crop injury from aerial application of glyphosate using vegetation indices. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 77:204-213
- Persson, T., Ortiz, B., D. Bransby, S. Sladden, W. Wu, G. Hoogenboom. 2011. Determining the impact of climate and soil variability on switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.) production in the southeastern USA; a simulation study. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Bioenergy journal (DOI: 10.1002/bbb.288).
- Ortiz, B. V., C. Perry, G. Vellidis, D. G. Sullivan. 2010. Geostatistical modeling of the spatial variability and risk areas of southern root-knot nematodes in relation to soil properties. Geoderma 156:243-252
- Ortiz, B. V., G. Hoogenboom, G. Vellidis, K. Boote, R. F. Davis, C. Perry. 2009. Adapting the CROPGRO cotton model to simulate cotton biomass and yield under southern root-knot nematode parasitism. Transactions of ASABE 52(6):2129-2140.