School of Fisheries, Aquaculture & Aquatic Sciences
Get In Touch
123 Swingle Hall
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 1993 – Ph.D., Mississippi State University, Starkville – Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences (Physiology)
- 1984 – M.S., Texas A&M University, College Station – Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences (Aquaculture Nutrition)
- 1978 – B.S., University of South Alabama, Mobile – Biology/Chemistry
AWARDS & HONORS
Past President of the World Aquaculture Society
Past President of the U.S. Aquaculture Society (a chapter of the World Aquaculture Society)
The Eminent Scientist Award, International Conference on Environmental Sustainability for Food Security (ENFOSE 2016) and Society for Advancement of Biological Sciences (SABS) Bangalore, 2016
Distinguished Educator Award, The United Nations Association-USA, Greater Birmingham Chapter, October 19, 2016
The Guthrie Award for Achievement in International Agriculture, 2012
Honorary Life Membership, International Association of Astacology, 2010
Sigma Xi Research Support Award 1990
Outstanding Graduate Student in the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, School of Forest Resources, Mississippi State Univ., 1990-91
- 2 PhD and 24 MS (5) or MAq (19) graduate students completed as chair or co-chair, 24 additional graduate students completed as committee member (5 PhD, 19 MS)
- Graduate Program Officer for School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences, 2007-Present
- Teach Principles of Aquaculture and Aquaculture Production (with additional class in Can Tho, Vietnam)
- D. A. Perera, R. P. Phelps, D. D. Tuong, M. Zapata, B. M. Tam, and W. H. Daniels. 2016. Use of Shrimp Penaeus
spp. and Krill Euphauisa spp. in a Feed Training Diet for Striped Snakehead Channa striata. International
Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 4(3): 12-15.
- Phelps, R. P., W. H. Daniels, N. R. Sansing and T. W. Brown. 2010. Production of gulf killifish in the black belt
region of Alabama using saline groundwater. North American Journal of Aquaculture 72 (3):219-224.
- Daniels, W. H., R. O. Cavalli and R. P. Smullen. 2009. Chapter 4. Broodstock Management. In M.B. New, W.C. Valenti, L.R. D’Abramo and J. Tidwell, editors, Freshwater Prawn Culture:The farming of Macrobrachium
rosenbergii, Blackwell Science, Oxford, pp. 40-54.
- Valenti, W. C., W. H. Daniels, M. B. New and E. S. Correia. 2009. Chapter 5. Hatchery Systems and Management.
In M.B. New, W.C. Valenti, L.R. D’Abramo and J. Tidwell, editors, Freshwater Prawn Culture:The farming of
Macrobrachium rosenbergii, Blackwell Science, Oxford, pp. 55-85.
- Pine, H. J.*, M. Jiang*, W. H. Daniels, D. A. Davis and C. D. Webster. 2008. Replacement of fish meal with
poultry by-product meal as a protein source in pond-raised sunshine bass, Morone chrysops X M. saxatilis,
diets. Journal of the World Aquaculture Societ y 39:586-597.
- Jiang, M.*, W. H. Daniels, H. J. Pine*and Jesse A. Chappell. 2008. Production and processing trait comparisons of
channel catfish, blue catfish, and their hybrids grown in earthen ponds. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society
- Molnar, J. and W. Daniels. 2007. Chapter 11: Tilapia: a fish with global reach. In: Globalization: Effects on
Fisheries Resources, (eds.) W. W.Taylor, M. Schechter, and L. Wolfson. Cambridge University Press,
- Gherardi, F. and W.H. Daniels. (2004) Agonism and shelter competition between invasive and indigenous crayfish
species. Journal of Zoology/Rev. Can. Zool. 82: 1923-1932.
- Acquistapace, Patrizia, William H. Daniels, and Francesca Gherardi. 2004. Behavioral responses to ‘alarm odors’ in
potentially invasive and non-invasive crayfish species from aquaculture ponds. Behavior 141:691-702.
- Gherardi, F. & W.H. Daniels. 2003. Dominance hierarchies and status recognition in the crayfish, Procambarus acutus
acutus. Canadian Journal of Zoology/Rev. Can. Zool. 81(7): 1269-1281.