Associate Dean for Research; Associate Director, AAES; Professor
AAES Administration / Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station / COA Administration / Department Heads & Managers / Entomology & Plant Pathology
Get In Touch
Entomology & Plant Pathology
Auburn Univ, AL 36849
- 1985 Ph.D., University of California, Riverside (Urban Entomology,
minors in insect physiology and parasitology)
- 1982 M.S., University of California, Riverside (Urban Entomology)
- 1980 B.S., University of California, Los Angeles (Biology)
APPOINTMENTS AT AU
- 2015-2016 Interim Dean and Director, College of Agriculture and AAES, Auburn University
- 2014-2016 Interim Associate Dean of Research and Interim Assistant Director of AAES, Auburn University
- 2005-2014 Chair, Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, Auburn University
- 2001-2006 Alumni Professor, Auburn University
- 1997 Professor, Auburn University
- 1990 Associate Professor, Auburn University
- 1985 Assistant Professor, Auburn University
- 2009-present — Visiting Professor, Yangtze University, Jingzhou, Hubei, China
- 2009-present — Honorary Professor, Southwest University, Chongqing, China
RECENT HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2008 — Entomological Society of America Recognition Award in Urban Entomology, Southeastern Branch, Entomological Society of America.
- 2007 — Entomological Foundation, Recognition Award in Urban Entomology (sponsored by S.C. Johnson & Sons), presented at the national meeting of the Entomological Society of America, San Diego, CA.
- 1993 — College of Agriculture, Auburn University, Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
- National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, Teaching Award of Merit, teaching year of 1992-1993.
- 2012-present — Subject Editor for Psyche, a journal of entomology
- 2012-present — Subject Editor for Household and Structural Insects, Journal of Economic Entomology, Entomological Society of America (2001-2006)
- 2012 — Opening (Key note) lecture, invited speaker, 44th Annual Meeting of the Organization of Nematologists of Tropical America (ONTA), Cancun, Mexico. Why not agriculture? Perceptions, reality, and the future.
- 2003 — Key note invited speaker, joint meeting of the Pest Control Association of Malaysia and the Singapore Pest Management Association, Langkawi, Malaysia. Global innovations and modern techniques for urban pest managers.
- 2004-2006 — Member, Entomological Society of America, Jeffery LaFage Graduate Student Research Award evaluation committee.
- 2002 — Member, Peer Review Committee, State of Texas Imported Fire Ant Project.
- 2000 — Chair, National Conference on Urban Entomology, Awards Committee, for 2000 meeting.
- 1998 and 1999 — Chair, Entomological Society of America, National Urban Entomology Award Committee.
Urban entomology, structural pests, insect physiology and behavior.
- ENTM 2040 – Insects
- ENTM 6370 – Urban Entomology
- ENTM 7990 – Research and Thesis
- ENTM 8990 – Research and Dissertation
- ENTM 7970 and 8970 – Special Problems and Topics in Urban Entomology
- Served as Major Professor: 7 MS and 6 PhD
- Served as Committee Member for 20 students; presently a member of 9 graduate committees
RECENT RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS
- *DeVries, Z. C., S. R. Kells, and A. G. Appel. 2015. Effects of starvation and molting on the metabolic rate of the bed bug (Cimex lectularius). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. 88: 53-65.
- *DeVries, Z. C., W. R. Reid, S. A. Kells, and A. G. Appel. 2015. Effects of starvation on deltamethrin tolerance in bed bugs, Cimex lectularius L. (Hemiptera: Cimicidae). Insects. 2015, 6: 102-111.
- Olufunmilayo, E. Ajayi, A. G. Appel, and H. Y. Fadamiro. 2014. Phytotoxicity of some essential oil components to cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) seeds. International Journal of Plant Biology and Research. 2(4): 1024, 9 pp.
- Olufunmilayo, E. Ajayi, A. G. Appel, and H. Y. Fadamiro. 2014. Fumigation toxicity of essential oil monoterpenes toCallosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Bruchinae). Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 917212, 7 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/917212.
- Sims, S. R., R. R. Balusu, E. N. Ngumbi, and A. G. Appel. 2014. Topical and vapor toxicity of saturated fatty acids to the German cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 107: 758-763.
- *Snoddy, E. T., and A. G. Appel. 2014. Field and laboratory efficacy of three insecticides for population management of the Asian cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 107: 326-332.
- *DeVries, Z. C., and A. G. Appel. 2014. Effects of temperature on nutrient self-selection in the silverfish Lepisma saccharina. Physiol. Entomol. 39: 217-221. Article first published online: 2 JUL 2014DOI: 10.1111/phen.12064
- *DeVries, Z. C, S. A. Kells, and A. G. Appel. 2013. Standard metabolic rate of the bedbug, Cimex lectularius: Effects of temperature, mass, and life stage. J. Insect Physiol. 59: 1133-1139.
- Liu, F., L. Chen, A. G. Appel, and N. Liu. 2013. Olfactory responses of the trichoid sensilla to chemical repellents in the mosquito, Culex quinquefsciatus. J. Insect Physiol. 59: 1169-1177.
- Peterson, J. D., J. E. Steffen, L. K. Reinert, P. A. Cobine, A. Appel, L. Rollins-Smith, and M. T. Mendonça. 2013. Host stress response is important for the pathogenesis of the deadly amphibian disease, Chytridiomycosis, in Litoria caerulea. PLOS ONE 8(4): e62146. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0062146.
RECENT EXTENSION AND INDUSTRY PUBLICATIONS
- Sims, S. R. and A. G. Appel. 2013. What does climate change mean for pests and PMPs? Pest Control Technology. 41(4): 92-94.
- *DeVries, Z, X. P. Hu, and A. G. Appel. 2013. ANR-1464, Battling Bed Bugs-Knowing the Enemy. ACES Bulletin.
- Sims, S. R. and A. G. Appel. 2012. Dean end! 10 practical tips for preventing insecticide control failures. Pest Control Technology. March 2012:
- Sims, S.R., D. R. Suiter, and A.G. Appel. 2011. A new look at an old group. Pest Control Technology. May 2011: 94, 96, 98.
- Hu, X. P., E. T. Snoddy*, and A. G. Appel. 2008. ANR-1322, Asian cockroach: A new pest in the urban environment.