Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? You’ll probably find the answer here. If not, feel free to reach out to us any time

If you are a fully admitted undergraduate or graduate student at Auburn University, you may register through AU Access. If you are not a fully admitted Auburn student, follow the link below for detailed information on the enrollment process.

AU Access   Enroll in a Course

You can enroll in our distance learning courses at any time. Courses are offered fall, spring and summer semesters. You must begin your course within a few days of the start of the semester. Starting dates now through the next semester are available on the Auburn University academic calendar.

See Academic Calendar

We currently offer about 58 courses through distance education. These courses are offered through five different departments within the College of Agriculture.

The courses are web-based, using a learning management system called Canvas. Once you have enrolled, you will be given access to the full course. The courses will be asynchronous, which means that you can log on any time of day or night, whenever it is convenient to you. You will still be required to complete the course within the semester of enrollment and complete assignments on time in order to obtain credit for the course.

Lectures will be provided by video streaming. Laboratory sessions will be provided in different manners depending upon the nature of the material. Demonstrations and field visits will be recorded so you can watch on your computer. Simulations may be used. Where hands-on experience is required, we may require a short visit to campus or to another location at a time suitable to all students just to carry out the laboratory portion of the course.  This only applies to two courses.  The other courses are fully online.

Most of the assignments and exams are submitted in electronic format through Canvas. Sometimes you also be able to email or mail some assignments. A proctor must usually be present for most examinations, whether in person or electronic is up to you and your professor.

Yes, ACES-IT Help desk is available to assist you and can be reached by phone at 334-844-9660 or by email at When sending an email, please include the nature of your problem and the best way to reach you.

Yes, you will be learning exactly the same material, have the same assignments and the same examinations. The only difference is the mode of delivery. We will make every effort to make the distance education as good than the respective classroom courses.

To obtain a Master of Science degree, students must submit a thesis based upon original research carried out by the student. Master of Agriculture students must do special project and submit a professional report instead of a thesis and must take at least two additional courses. For more information, see the Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences Graduate Student Handbook under Graduate Courses on the Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences Web site.

Those wishing to obtain a Master of Science or PhD degree must carry out research and publish the results in a thesis. The student will need to identify a faculty member who will serve as major professor and supervise the student’s research program. There must be funding available to support the research program, as is the case with any other graduate student pursuing a MS or PhD degree. The research program must be arranged on a case by case basis, and must be approved by students’ graduate committee. If your research site is far from campus, we may need to arrange for a local researcher or faculty member to help with on-site support to your research. A Master of Agriculture degree does not require a thesis, but requires additional courses.

Through the link below, you may access a list of crop, soil and environmental sciences faculty and their research interests. Or you may contact our Distance Education Coordinator, Adam McGhee, who can direct you to the faculty member most suited to your area of interest.

Faculty Research Interests

In order to watch the videos and other media in distance education courses, you will need the following:

  • A computer with a minimum of 2 gigabytes of RAM, processor speed of 2.5 gigahertz or better, and adequate memory.
  • Broadband Internet service (DSL or equivalent) that delivers at least 3 Mbps and preferably more.
  • A video card that has dedicated memory (RAM) or a video card with at least 128MB RAM.

More Detailed Recommendations

Feel free to contact us and find out more about our degree programs!

Request more Information