Ag Discovery Adventure
SEPTEMBER 23, 2017 — 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Hosted by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station and Auburn University’s College of Agriculture, Ag Discovery Adventure will offer adults and children entertaining and enlightening hands-on activities and presentations that will showcase agricultural technology and illustrate the key role agriculture plays in every aspect of our lives. They will explore the multi-faceted world of agriculture, from crop and animal production to home gardening to buzzwords like sustainability and bioenergy.
Location and Contact Info
E.V. Smith Research Center
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Renowned Auburn Chef, Chris Wilton, will demonstrate how to prepare and cook four Alabama grown products. Alabama producers will be on hand to discuss how they raise their products in Alabama.
9:30 a.m.- Catfish
10:30 a.m. – Shrimp
11:30 a.m. – Chicken
12:30 a.m.- Beef
Come and learn how to pick and gin cotton. To be able to learn how to do both, be at the cotton field at these times.
9:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m.
Hayrides will leave every 30 minutes from the Tour Loading Area. Auburn Ag Ambassadors will tell you about Alabama Agriculture as the GPS Guided Tractor Systems takes you on a scenic tour.
9:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m.,
2:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
- Learn how fish can help grow vegetables
- Learn how to feed fish in ponds
- Learn how to cast a fishing pole
- Create fish prints
- Learn about turtles and snakes
- Meet and learn about modern and heritage breeds of livestock
- Cattle- Beef and Dairy
- Poultry- Adult birds and hatching chickens
- Make apple cider
- Play in the pollinator garden
- Learn about trap crops
- Search for pumpkins in the pumpkin maze
- Paint your pumpkins
- Learn about fungus- including mushrooms
- Wander in the corn maze
- Shell and grind corn
- Dig for peanuts and taste boiled peanuts
- Pedal tractor fun
- Bi-plane assembly and flights using model planes
- Learn how to bale pine straw
- Learn how to make leaf crayon drawings
- “Water you doing”- stop water thieves using a computer stimulation game
- Learn about watersheds
- Learn how to make rainwater collection systems
Alabama Cotton Producers, Alabama Farmers Federation, Alabama Soybean Producers, Alabama Wheat and Feed Grain Producers, WLWI and Cumulus Broadcasting, Agri-AFC and Steve Sanderson, Alabama 4-H Foundation, Alabama Assn. of County Agricultural Agents and Specialists, Allyson Andrews, Chilton and Coosa County 4-H Livestock Clubs, End of the Road Farm, Jim and Vicki Ham, Courteney Holland, Morris and Morris Farms, Inc., Palmer Farms, Melissa Palmer, Pioneer Seed, Southeast United Dairy Industry Association, Betty Sticker, SunSouth, Chef David Wilton, Alabama Agricultural Experimentation Station, Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Auburn University College of Agriculture, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine