Bulow Wilson “Buck” Appleton
Buck Appleton, born and reared in Collinsville, Alabama, received the B.S. degree from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in Agricultural Science in June 1934. While at Auburn, he was president of the Agricultural Club and Theta Upsilon Omega social fraternity. He was also a member of several honor societies, including Gamma Sigma Delta, Spades, Omicron Delta Kappa, Blue Key and Phi Delta Gamma.
After graduation, Appleton became assistant county agent for Etowah County and later worked in Walker and Dekalb counties. Interspersed with positions in the Alabama Cooperative Extension System and Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, he worked in the private sector with Tro-Fe Dairy and the Barrett Company.
Appleton partnered with his two brothers in 1948 to establish Southland Hatchery, Appleton Farm and other poultry operations in Collinsville. Later he became president, secretary and treasurer of Collinsville Egg Company, the first contract egg production company in Alabama. Appleton was the first president of Alabama Poultry Industry Association, serving three terms, and he was one of the two initial inductees in the Alabama Poultry & Egg Association’s Hall of Fame. In recognition of his dedication and contributions to Alabama 4-H programs, Appleton’s biographical information was included in the Book of Memories when the 4-H Center Chapel was dedicated in 1991.
Appleton was a devout Baptist, active as a Sunday school teacher and deacon at Collinsville Baptist Church. A loving family man, Appleton lived a life that influenced his children to be morally strong and considerate of their fellow men and women.
Buck Appleton was married to the late Sarah Lee Stanley. They had three children: Thomas (deceased), Stanley and Janet; and seven grandchildren.