Global Programs Advisory Committee (GPAC) Spring 2019 Meeting Agenda
Thursday, January 31st, 2019
1) New member introduction: Russell Muntifering (Faculty from Animal Sciences; join Dr. Lee Chiba to represent their department, absent this time); Mollie Smith (Outreach Programs Coordinator/Aquaponics Project Manager, PhD student in Aquaculture, SFAAS)
2) Dennis Shannon’s (CSES) appointment as the GPAC chair ended in Fall 2018, he stepped down to continue serving as a member; Dr. Yifen Wang (BSE) was selected as the new chair from Spring 2019 – Spring 2020, with the eligibility of renewal; Karen Veverica (SFAAS) will be retiring in March 2019
Gift presentation to Dr. Shannon; Certificate presentation to Karen
3) Current status of OGP and updated version of Bylaws
4) A brief history of GPAC
5) Update from the Office of Global Programs
• OGP Report
• Study Abroad and Exchange Programs offered in 2018 -2019 academic year:
Vietnam (Aquaculture): Dr. Daniels, Winter 2018; France (1:1 Exchange Program in Ag): Dr. Valentina Hartarska, Spring 2019; Peru (Inca Heritage, Intl Research and Ag): Dr. Russell Muntifering, Spring 2019; China (general Ag tour): Dr. Xing Ping Hu, May 2019
• AAES-Cuba Grants Program RFP 2017/2018 – (refer to OGP webpage); OGP will have a meeting with the Cuba Working Group on February 7thto discuss project progress and future directions of the group
• York ISP (for the Feb 5thdeadline): Xing Ping Hu – Ag Study Tour to Beijing, China
• OUC – AU grant proposals for FYI 2018 – total of 18 proposals; All OUC-AU Joint Center research awards have processed by OSP for implementation and funds made available to PIs.
6) China Programs – Drs. Patterson and Fadamiro will be leading a faculty team to visit China from April 13thto April 20th.
China Agricultural University (CAU), Beijing
Purpose: Discussions with college administrators and upper administration about opportunities to strengthen our partnership, especially in the areas of student/faculty exchange and research collaborations.
Huazhong Agricultural University (HZAU), Wuhan
Purpose: Congratulatory visit to President Zhaohu Li; Discussions with upper administration about opportunities to strengthen our partnership, especially in the areas of student/faculty exchange and research collaborations.
Ocean University of China (OUC), Qingdao
Purpose: Discussions on OUC-AU Joint Center agreement and activities; 2+2/3+2 and student/faculty exchangeDaniels will be in China (October 13-27) with visiting research institutions and then with Dr. Flowers to interview & recruit students and discuss further collaboration.
7) Working groups – updates; what’s needed
8) Updates from Members
9) Explore European countries
10) Any new business?