Edwin V. Smith
E.V. Smith was born and raised on a farm near Ozark. He earned a degree in agricultural science in 1928, then went on to earn a master’s and the Ph.D. in botany and plant physiology from Iowa State University. In 1931, he joined the faculty of Auburn University and spent the next 41 years contributing to the growth of teaching and research programs in the College of Agriculture and Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station.
Dr. Smith is perhaps best known by his partnership with the late Homer Swingle, who together built Auburn’s fisheries program into one of the foremost in the world. He also led a successful statewide campaign for a bond issue to provide funds for construction of Funchess Hall, Lambert Meat Laboratory, Sugg Animal Health Laboratory, Greene Hall, McAdory Hall, Hoerlein Hall and the addition to the Animal Sciences Building.
Though best known as dean and director of the College of Agriculture and Agricultural Experiment Station at Auburn, Dr. Smith was also an accomplished teacher during the early part of his career. Many of his former students regularly stopped by to visit with him after he became dean and director.
Dr. Smith won numerous awards during his illustrious career, including “The Progressive Farmer” Man of the Year in Service to Agriculture and Farm Credit Bank’s Bronze Medal. In 1978, Dean Smith was honored with the dedication of the 3,300 acre E.V. Smith Research Center in Shorter.
The late Dr. Smith and his wife, Martha North Smith, have three children: Edwin Watson Smith, Mobile; James North Smith, Hope Mill, North Carolina; and Martha Mizell Rumora, Baldwin, Missouri.