CSES 5163/6166 Advanced Turfgrass Management
ABOUT THE COURSE:
This course covers in-depth turfgrass establishment, culture and care with emphasis on factors affecting the turfgrass plant as a component of a dynamic community. Influence of soil chemical and physical conditions, management practices and climate are discussed. Theoretical and practical aspects of turfgrass management practices are discussed along with design and construction of golf courses and other athletic purpose turf areas.
In this course, students will learn about:
- How turfgrasses respond to cultural practices and inputs, and how to use these to produce the best environment for turfgrass growth
- Nutrient and pest management options with an emphasis on integrated and sustainable management
- Methods for designing and building specialty turf areas (especially golf putting greens and athletic fields)
- Special maintenance concerns relating to athletic fields, golf courses and sod production
- The current state of research in turfgrass management
Each student will be required to complete a series of quizzes, three examinations and participate in discussions.
CSES 3150/3153 Turfgrass Management